a breach an earlier symptom of which was Matthew Arnold’s...

sb70012

Azerbaijani/Persian
The aesthetic movement, with its insistence on “art for art’s sake,” assaulted the assumptions about the nature and function of art held by ordinary middle-class readers, deliberately, provocatively. It helped to widen the breach between artists and writers on the one hand and the “Philistine” public on the other-a breach an earlier symptom of which was Matthew Arnold’s war on the Philistines in Culture and Anarchy and that was later to result in the “alienation of the artist,” which has since become a commonplace of criticism.

Source: The Norton Anthology of English Literature, The Twentieth Century (1890 to the Present)

If you click here you can see the picture which I've taken of the page of the book.

Hello teachers,

I know the meanings word by word but totally I can’t understand the blue part. Would you please clarify it to me?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
  • exgerman

NYC
    English but my first language was German
    He makes a statement about a "breach". Once the sentence is finished, he wants to give more information about the breach, so he sets a dash to indicate that the sequence of thought is interrupted and then resumes the description of the breach.

In his restarting of the description of the breach, he starts off "a breach", and then adds a relative clause. The tricky part is that the relative pronoun is not the first word in the relative clause.

VNS has explained what the relative clause means.

wandle

English - British
    a breach an earlier symptom of which was Matthew Arnold’s war on the Philistines in Culture and Anarchy and that was later to result in the “alienation of the artist,”
    The above may be paraphrased as:

a breach foreshadowed by Matthew Arnold’s war on the Philistines in Culture and Anarchy and resulting later in the “alienation of the artist” ;

This in turn is equivalent to:

a breach which had been foreshadowed by Matthew Arnold’s war on the Philistines in Culture and Anarchy and which resulted later in the “alienation of the artist” .

< Previous | Next >