A breeze is roughing/wafting/wiffing through my window

< Previous | Next >

jesusguime

Banned
Chinese
A breeze is roughing/wafting/wiffing through my window. I couldn't love this feeling better!

Hi,
I made up the above sentences to record what I see every moment. Do roughing, wafting, and wiffing all fit in the above and mean about the same? Thanks.

• ewie

English English
    Wafting is definitely the best of the three, I'd say.
    Roughing makes your breeze sound rather like a gale.
    And wiffing (whiffing) makes it sounds like a somewhat smelly breeze.

Brioche

Australia English
    to waft = to carry or to be carried gently on air or water.

So I don't like "A breeze is wafting through my window".

You could say "A breeze is wafting the delicate aroma of jasmine through my window"

I think wafting could be used, though I have seen it more used as Brioche says. Whiff (note spelling) is more commonly used for "inhale" if used as a verb at all but it is used even more commonly as a noun (again, frequently in conjuntion with an inhalation or some type of scent--a whiff of perfume...). Technically, I think you could use it in your sentence but it does not sound like a common usage. "Wiff", spelled without the h, has a variety of meanings not at all related to breezes, some of which are slang. Rough as a verb is usually transitive and involves the practice of some degree of violence (they roughed up the guy) or in the phrase "roughing it" meaning to camp or do some other activity with some degree of primitiveness or lack of amenities. I don't see it as working in your sentence at all.

Last edited:

Ann O'Rack

UK
    UK English
    If you want to sound a bit poetic, how about "A breeze is whispering through my window"? Ok, so you don't normally use the verb "whisper" with a breeze, but it does get the idea across that the sound is soft and gentle.

< Previous | Next >