a breve agganciando o il venerdì o il lunedì

mwebster

United States/English
Ciao
Can someone help me on this phrase in pink especially “a breve agganciando”. I was having some trouble understanding how that would be translated to English.
Thanks
Mark

.. e così chi ha dovuto rinunciare al ponte di questa settimana potrà beneficiare a breve agganciando o il venerdì o il lunedì (oppure entrambi i giorni) e godersi almeno 4 se non 5 giorni di relax...

My attempt:
..and so one who had to give up the bridge of this week will be able to benefit a brief pause? (at work?), or the Friday or Monday (or both days) and enjoy at least 4 if not 5 days of rest.

• Alfry

Italian
    mwebster said:
    Ciao
    Can someone help me on this phrase in pink especially “a breve agganciando”. I was having some trouble understanding how that would be translated to English.
    Thanks
    Mark

.. e così chi ha dovuto rinunciare al ponte di questa settimana potrà beneficiare a breve agganciando o il venerdì o il lunedì (oppure entrambi i giorni) e godersi almeno 4 se non 5 giorni di relax...

My attempt:
    ..and so one who had to give up the bridge of this week will be able to benefit a brief pause? (at work?), or the Friday or Monday (or both days) and enjoy at least 4 if not 5 days of rest.
    a breve potrebbe essere "in poco tempo, thus
    ... will soon be able to ...

agganciando il venerdì o lunedì significa che se aspetti il week-end e prendi venerdì e lunedì successivi di vacanza hai un magnifico long week-end.

Agganciare = join

fran06

Italian Italy
    Agganciando o il venerdì o il lunedì basically means that even if they had to give up the bridge they will be able to cath up with the days off taking either the next Friday or Monday off.

I hope it helps.
    Ciao

PS Alfry was quicker... ;)

mwebster

United States/English
    Thanks Alfry and Fran06,
    Now I am wondering if I had the rest of this passage correct? If this letter was written on this last Monday, does “da sabato scorso fino a domani” refer to the most recent Saturday or the one before? Was the first possible period off 11 days or just 4? I’m still a little confused by the use of “o il venerdì o il lunedì” I assume it can ‘t be literally translated and make sense?

..e si faranno un bel "ponte" di vacanza (da sabato scorso fino a domani). Ma non
    finisce qui, anche la prossima settimana ci sarà un'altra festività: il 1° maggio e così chi
    ha dovuto rinunciare al ponte di questasettimana potrà beneficiare a breve agganciando
    o il venerdì o il lunedì (oppure entrambi i giorni) e godersi almeno 4 se non 5 giorni di relax...

My attempt:
    ..and (they) will make a nice bridge of vacation (from last Saturday thru tomorrow). But it doesn’t end here, next week there will also be another festivity: May 1st and so those who had to give up the bridge of this week will be able to benefit a brief catch, of Friday or Monday (or both days) and enjoy at least 4 if not 5 days of rest.

Thanks
    Mark
    :confused:

Alfry

Italian
    mwebster said:
    Thanks Alfry and Fran06,
    Now I am wondering if I had the rest of this passage correct? If this letter was written on this last Monday, does “da sabato scorso fino a domani” refer to the most recent Saturday or the one before? Was the first possible period off 11 days or just 4? I’m still a little confused by the use of “o il venerdì o il lunedì” I assume it can ‘t be literally translated and make sense?

..e si faranno un bel "ponte" di vacanza (da sabato scorso fino a domani). Ma non
    finisce qui, anche la prossima settimana ci sarà un'altra festività: il 1° maggio e così chi
    ha dovuto rinunciare al ponte di questasettimana potrà beneficiare a breve agganciando
    o il venerdì o il lunedì (oppure entrambi i giorni) e godersi almeno 4 se non 5 giorni di relax...

My attempt:
    ..and (they) will make a nice bridge of vacation (from last Saturday thru tomorrow). But it doesn’t end here, next week there will also be another festivity: May 1st and so those who had to give up the bridge of this week will be able to benefit a brief catch, of Friday or Monday (or both days) and enjoy at least 4 if not 5 days of rest.

Thanks
    Mark
    :confused:
    Actually there's a basic mistake here.

April 22 and 23 were Saturday and Sunday. April 24 was a normal working day. April 25 was a vacation day.

Just taking April 24 off you could have spent a 4-day loooong weekend. Those who couldn't enjoy this long "ponte" might now make up for that awful event :D taking April 28 (Friday) off, which, together with April 29 & 30 and considering that May 1 is a vacation day, would turn out to be as long a "ponte" as the one before (even longer if you take 2 days off).

The mistake is that the author of this article is stating that this week-end you could have taken Friday and/or Monday off (hey man, Monday is already a vacation day). He probably meant Tuesday.

So, to make up for the past "missed-ponte" one could take April 28 and/or May 2 off enjoying a 4 or 5 day long "ponte"

Tatzingo

English, UK
    mwebster said:
    Ciao
    Thanks
    Mark

My attempt:
    Hi,

Just one question; Do you actually say 'bridge' in AE when referring to a long weekend?

Tatz.

ElaineG

USA/English
    Tatzingo said:
    Hi,

Just one question; Do you actually say 'bridge' in AE when referring to a long weekend?

Tatz.
    No, not at all. "Fare il ponte" is a nice Italianism that doesn't translate directly. It's just "take a long weekend": "Since Tuesday is a holiday, if I take Monday off, I can have/take a long weekend."

Tatzingo

English, UK
    ElaineG said:
    No, not at all. "Fare il ponte" is a nice Italianism that doesn't translate directly. It's just "take a long weekend": "Since Tuesday is a holiday, if I take Monday off, I can have/take a long weekend."
    Elaine,

Thanks for the clarification. I had serious doubts myself about that!

Tatz.

< Previous | Next >