A Bridge

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by najhans, Aug 17, 2006.

1. najhans New Member

english
    Can someone translate me 'A Bridge' in german word. Before you guys translate it, let me define what is a bridge. A bridge that what I want is a ship bridge. It is not a structure that providing a way across a river, road or railway. Onboard ship, they have their own terms which use by most of the mariners all over the world. Bridge onboard ship is the place (normally at higher level) where the skipper and the watch keeper drive the ship. This the area where all the navigation and communication equipments located. In easy term, bridge is similiar to cockpit for an aircraft. So what is 'A Bridge' so called in German?

cheers,
    najhan
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

2. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Die Brücke

This German word surprisingly carries both English meanings, i.e. bridge like in "across a river" and bridge like in "upper deck where the captain of a ship resides".

Kajjo

3. gaer

gaer Senior Member

Fort Lauderdale
    US-English
    Kajjo, Du hast die Brücke!

(I think I just made myself captain.) :D

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Correct, although he asked for a translation of "a bridge," which would be "eine Brücke." ;)

5. Ralf Senior Member

Dresden
    German
    Are you sure the question was not about an "A Bridge" as a specific term? ;) Anyway, another German translation is "Kommandobrücke".

Ralf

6. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Oh, mea culpa! :eek:

You are right. I would prefer "Kommandobrücke", though, to avoid any confusion.

7. Lykurg

Lykurg Senior Member

Hamburg
    German
    In most naval contexts, especially when describing a ship, "Brücke" would do, since you won't expect e.g. a suspension bridge there, anyway.^^

8. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

Sure, but being on a ship or talking about ships, no one would say that. This term is probably used only when the context is not definite enough to grasp the meaning without being more specific.

It's like Brücke (Teppich) needs to be said in the proper context to get the meaning!

Kajjo

9. Ralf Senior Member

Dresden
    German
    I agree. So let's assume I called "Kommandobrücke" into play to have all options of contexts available. ;) On the other hand, I came across that term in enough narrations or articles on ships and sailing that I wouldn't count it out in the first place.

Ralf

10. Kajjo

Kajjo Senior Member

I agree with you. The term Kommandobrücke is clear and precise.

Kajjo