a brief recognition of an alternate spelling

forgoodorill

Chinese
Hi, everyone!
I read a book named The Glamour of Grammar recently and don't understand a word in a paragraph.

Some words, cathedral, for example, are large and spectacular, while others, on or off, are small and functional, barely noticeable in a text. But if you love words, no words is insignificant. No part of a word can be changed without some impact, even if it's just a brief recognition of an alternate spelling.

I consulted the dictionary, is it means 'to accept that something is legal, true, or important'? So the last sentence means 'it will has obvious impact even if you change a word's spelling and gain the recognition?

Thanks in advance!

• The Newt

English - US
    The idea may be "even if the only impact is that we become aware of an alternate spelling," but it's not very well phrased.

Does it really say "no words is insignificant"?

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    Hi, everyone!
    I read a book named The Glamour of Grammar recently and don't understand a word in a paragraph.

Some words, cathedral, for example, are large and spectacular, while others, on or off, are small and functional, barely noticeable in a text. But if you love words, no words is insignificant. No part of a word can be changed without some impact, even if it's just a brief recognition of an alternate spelling.

I consulted the dictionary, is it means 'to accept that something is legal, true, or important'? So the last sentence means 'it will has obvious impact even if you change a word's spelling and gain the recognition?

Thanks in advance!
    Especially between British and American English, there are minor spelling differences especially with words like colour/color. The author is saying that something as small as an accepted change in spelling carries weight in how the piece is read. The author sounds like a poet in their love of language!

In Canada we get to choose between British and American spelling every time we sit down to write and yes, that affects how the piece comes across.

forgoodorill

Chinese
    Especially between British and American English, there are minor spelling differences especially with words like colour/color. The author is saying that something as small as an accepted change in spelling carries weight in how the piece is read. The author sounds like a poet in their love of language!

In Canada we get to choose between British and American spelling every time we sit down to write and yes, that affects how the piece comes across.
    j
    Thanks, PonyProf:):thumbsup:! May I ask you what's the meaning of 'get to' and 'write and yes'?
    Source: In Canada we get to choose between British and American spelling every time we sit down to write and yes, that affects how the piece comes across.

I don't sure the meaning of them even I consulted the dictionary. Thanks!:)

Ponyprof

Canadian English
    "we get to choose" means " we are allowed to choose" or "we must choose."

"Get to" is an all purpose casual noun construction in North American English suggesting permission or ability.

I get to ride her horse on Saturday.
    I get to choose my own birthday present.
    You get to write an essay on your own choice of topic.
    He gets to get up late on Sunday mornings.

My other sentence is an alternate punctuation that could also read;

We get to choose between British and American spelling every time we sit down to write. And yes, that affects how the piece comes across.

forgoodorill

Chinese
    "we get to choose" means " we are allowed to choose" or "we must choose."

"Get to" is an all purpose casual noun construction in North American English suggesting permission or ability.

I get to ride her horse on Saturday.
    I get to choose my own birthday present.
    You get to write an essay on your own choice of topic.
    He gets to get up late on Sunday mornings.

My other sentence is an alternate punctuation that could also read;

We get to choose between British and American spelling every time we sit down to write. And yes, that affects how the piece comes across.
    Thanks, PonyProf!:D:thumbsup: You helped me a lot!

< Previous | Next >