a brioche because it was our turn to present it

SuprunP

Ukrainian & Russian
The fact was that on Sunday, she thought only of this visit, and as soon as lunch was finished, Françoise would be in a hurry for us to leave the dining room so that she could go up and “occupy” my aunt. But (especially once the fine weather settled in at Combray) a good long time would go by after the haughty hour of noon, descending from the Saint-Hilaire steeple, which it had emblazoned with the twelve momentary rosettes of its sonorous crown, had echoed around our table close to the consecrated bread which had also come in, familiarly, after church, while we remained sitting in front of the Thousand and One Nights plates, oppressed by the heat and especially by the meal. For, upon a permanent foundation of eggs, cutlets, potatoes, jams, biscuits which she no longer even announced to us, Françoise would add [...] cream cheese, which I liked very much at one time, an almond cake because she had ordered it the day before, a brioche because it was our turn to present it.
(The Way by Swann's; M. Proust)

Would you be so kind as to tell me what 'to present' means here?

Thanks.

• Loob

English UK
    I've had a quick look at the French, which uses the equivalent of the English word "offer".

I think I'd have translated the phrase as "it was our turn to serve it", rather than "it was our turn to present it". Others may have better ideas:).

--------

EDIT. I see that other translations use "it was our turn to make it for the church", which is probably more accurate....

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >