A broader mistake

< Previous | Next >

Ego

Spanish - Argentina
Hello, everyone! I am trying to translate an article on the impact of the media on human response to a crisis. I can't quite figure out the meaning of a sentence in this context; that is why I am asking for some help. This is the sentence:

Why did this happen? Some people blame an overheated media, but it would have been difficult to ignore all the warnings. I think there is a broader mistake in the way we look at the world. Once we see a problem, we can describe it in great detail [...].

I don't understand the use of "broader" in this sentence, since I don't see a comparison with anything (either in this sentence, nor in the previous or the following one). Is it that may be "broader" here is used as a synonym of "big, huge..."? It is the use of the comparative that I don't understand.

Thanks a lot.

• Packard

USA, English
    This is my take. I am hesitant to say it is exactly what is meant, but I believe it is.

The mistake is not in what happened; it is in the very way we deal with what happened. The way we deal with the problem is the "broader mistake".

Trochfa

UK
    English - England
    I am thinking along the same lines:

Some people blame an "overheated media" for the mistaken way we deal with these problems. However, there is a much broader mistake [than the one which just focuses on the mistaken role of the "overheated media"] in the way we look at the world and deal with the problems.

[I'm not saying I'm right, but that is what it seems to be saying to me.]

Ego

Spanish - Argentina
    Oh, thank you guys so much! Really! I'd been going around it for a while and I would've never thought of that option. Packard and Trochfa (heypresto too, but I could not read what you wrote) thank you a lot. At least, if that what two native speakers understand, I'll go with that option.

I feel like my mind is more relaxed now, :).

Cheers, guys.

< Previous | Next >