a broader social change that will be necessary in France

fluffkin

England, English
Hello,
I'm a little concerned about the accuracy of my French translation of 'achieving political parity only represents one facet of a broader social change that will be necessary in France.'

'Accomplir la parité politique ne représente qu'une facette d'une évolution sociale plus vaste qu'il faudra en France'

to convey 'broader' I've used 'plus vaste' but with the following 'que' does that then change the meaning of the sentence to 'broader social change than will be necessary in France' ?

Any suggestions on how I can improve this translation?

• PeterH

USA English
    Do you want a literal translation of the English or simply the expression in French of the general thought? Some traps in the literal translation to avoid: facette doesn't seem to be used in a figurative sense as commonly as facet is in English; it may not be necessary to translate literally the comparative broader, since the comparison in the English original is fairly subtle; it may not be necessary to translate the future in the English original into the future in French. How about:

La parité politique n'est qu'un seul aspect d'une évolution sociale importante qui est nécessaire en France.

If you wanted to express broader social change than will be necessary, you would say

'...une évolution sociale plus importante qu'il ne sera nécessaire en France'

marcolo

France, french
    un changement social plus vaste qui sera nécessaire en France

To my mind. "évolution sociale" is too passive (the society evolves naturally), whereas "réforme sociale" is too active, therefore I believe that "changement social" is a good translation.

fluffkin

England, English
    great thank you :) your suggestions are really helpful.

I actually wanted to avoid saying 'than', Peter. Is it only the 'ne' in your second sentence that conveys the sense of than?

Would I be able to use:

'accomplir la parité politique ne représente qu’un seul aspect d’un changement social important qui sera nécessaire en France.'

PeterH

USA English
    Yes, you have to use a syntax that sounds strange to English speakers to express than in this case.
    It seems that French does not use the infinitive as the subject of a sentence as commonly as English or German would. I can't tell whether what you wrote is intended to fit into a longer sentence, but if there's nothing else that introduces accomplir, I suggest something like
    L'accomplissement de la parité... or Le but d'accomplir la parité...or Le fait d'accomplir...
    Perhaps a native speaker can comment whether it sounds acceptable to them to leave the unadorned infinitive as the subject here.

fluffkin

England, English
    thanks PeterH, here's the full sentence:

Que ce soit par moyens juridiques ou un changement graduel d’attitude, accomplir la parité politique ne représente qu’un seul aspect d’un changement social important qui sera nécessaire en France.

< Previous | Next >