a brother with the same father

< Previous | Next >

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
Please help me.

Is there a term for a brother with the same father rather than "half brother"? I'd like to use a specific term that describes my relationship with my brother who has the same father.

Many thanks in advance.

• lingobingo

English - England
    A half-brother is the son of one of your own natural/biological parents.

There is also a term stepbrother, but its meaning is different:
    A son of one's step-parent by a marriage other than that with one's own father or mother.

In other words, because of a parent's remarriage you might have either a half-brother or a stepbrother, but only a half-brother would be related to you by blood.

Loob

English UK
    Please help me.

Is there a term for a brother with the same father rather than "half brother"? I'd like to use a specific term that describes my relationship with my brother who has the same father.

Many thanks in advance.
    Are you asking about a term for:
    (1) a brother who has the same father and mother;
    or
    (2) a brother who has the same father but a different mother
    ?

Huda

Arabic-Egypt
    A half-brother is the son of one of your own natural/biological parents.

There is also a term stepbrother, but its meaning is different:
    A son of one's step-parent by a marriage other than that with one's own father or mother.

In other words, because of a parent's remarriage you might have either a half-brother or a stepbrother, but only a half-brother would be related to you by blood.
    Thanks. Both of "half-brother" and "stepbrother" do not indicate that this certain brother has the same father with a different mother. Maybe it means a brother with the same mother and a different father, which I don't mean to say.

< Previous | Next >