a bubble of laughter

jacdac

Lebanese
Ron winces heroically as she dabs at the cut on his eyebrow, and says, ‘Do you want to go on a picnic today?’ Margie stops dabbing while a bubble of laughter inflates in her chest. ‘Oh, that’s OK, I don’t think you’re in any condition for a picnic.’
Source: The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty

What are the characteristics of a bubble of laughter?

When I googled it, I came across a book with the same collocation ‘a bubble of laughter ran through my mind’
Some YouTube video titled a tiny bubble of laughter portrays some guru in a bliss. This could not be the intent of the figure of speech, right?

Thank you.

• lingobingo

English - England
    If you try to repress laughter (for example, because it would be unseemly/irreverent to laugh in a particular place or situation, even if you find something hilarious), it tends to build up until you can’t hold it in any longer. Hence the expression to “burst out laughing”.

Here that scenario is expressed by describing the repressed laughter as a bubble in her chest, which is about to burst.

jacdac

Lebanese
    Thank you. I got the repressing the laughter and the consequential “burst out laughing”.
    What about to be bubbly with laughter as the cited You Tube video of the blissed guru, labelled The tiny bubble of laughter? Would this be a misnomer?

Last edited:

Myridon

English - US
    Thank you. I got the repressing the laughter and the consequential “burst out laughing”.
    What about to be bubbly with laughter as the cited You video of the blissed guru, labelled The tiny bubble of laughter? Would this be a misnomer?
    It's likely that the poster of those videos is not a native speaker.
    However, the video shows various clips of the guru laughing in a small to moderate way.
    You might imagine that there are tiny bubbles of laughter like the bubbles in a carbonated beverage that rise up from the chest and burst through the mouth as the bubbles burst on the surface of a drink. Sometimes there are just one or two bubbles popping and sometimes the glass overflows with foam.

< Previous | Next >