a budget done of how much to clear

VicNicSor

Banned
Russian
A DCI with an assistant are coming up to the place (in a forest) where missing boys have been found, violently killed. He instructs:
-- OK, we'll need to arrange a press conference. I'll need to cordon off the surrounding areas, and a budget done of how much to clear.
The Fades, TV series

Does that mean "an estimation of how much we will have to pay for clearing", right? Of so, what does "clear" mean here?
Thank you.

• The Newt

English - US
    The "budget" may not be monetary; it may simply refer to a plan for how large an area has to be examined. It's somewhat unusual to use "budget" in that way, however.

VicNicSor

Banned
    Russian
    The "budget" may not be monetary; it may simply refer to a plan for how large an area has to be examined. It's somewhat unusual to use "budget" in that way, however.
    That is, both words -- 'budget' and 'clear' are used here in unusual meanings? Meanings that are not found in dictionaries?...

The Newt

English - US
    That is, both words -- 'budget' and 'clear' are used here in unusual meanings? Meanings that are not found in dictionaries?...
    We sometimes "budget" time, so it's a bit of a stretch but not completely out of the question to use "budget" in the way that I'm suggesting is possible. "Clear" is vaguer. I'm thinking that here it might mean "examine and remove or record all evidence from," that is "make the area clear of all evidence," but I'm really just guessing.

< Previous | Next >