< Previous | Next >

buoo

Korean
Hi

Which is correct?

1. a built-in closet on a wall
2. a built-in closet to a wall
3. a built-in closet inside a wall.
4. a built-in closet ('wall' is already implied so don't need to be mentioned)

Besides, when you say a 'closet' does it necessarily usually mean it is built in a wall?

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Elwintee

England English
    I would choose (4), as the wall is understood to be what the 'closet' is built into. However, in BE I do not use the word 'closet'. I would say "built-in wardrobe". However, I expect the AE word is catching on here, as are so many others. We haven't called trousers pants yet, thank goodness!

Last edited:

buoo

Korean
    Hi Elwintee, thanks for the input. Long story short, I was talking with my friend who just moved in a new apartment, and somehow closet got in our conversation, and I came up with this 'closet-question' because I had difficulty explaining this. I thought of furniture as what closet means but now I feel you can just use closet without mentioning built in to mean a built-in closet. :(
    Anyway, for grammar's sake, are the prepositions in each sentence in correct use?

Thelb4

UK English
    Hi

Which is correct?

1. a built-in closet on a wall
    2. a built-in closet to a wall
    3. a built-in closet inside a wall.
    4. a built-in closet ('wall' is already implied so don't need to be mentioned)

Besides, when you say a 'closet' does it necessarily usually mean it is built in a wall?

Thank you.
    A wall is only a few inches thick. There's not much room for clothing if the closet were 'inside' the wall. You might say it was 'built in to the house' or 'built in to the room' or just 'a built-in closet'.

< Previous | Next >