a bunch of firecrackers

< Previous | Next >

l3376876

Banned
Chinese, Taiwan
The peace and quietness suddenly ended when someone set off a bunch of firecrackers.

Does the underlined part sound good to you? If not, how would you say it? Thanks.
We usually string many firecrackers in a string and set them off during Chinese New Year; that's why we coin a bunch/string of firecrackers.

• difficult cuss

English England
    "Bunch" sounds a little strange (flowers and bananas come in bunches), I do not know the collective noun for fireworks, if there is indeed one, but I would use "bundle" if they were tied together, or a "chain" perhaps (grasping a bit now).

l3376876

Banned
    Chinese, Taiwan
    Thanks, mari and cuss, for your feedback. I like bundle and chain, but does string sound right to you?

Thomsen

English USA
    The peace and quietness suddenly ended when someone set off a bunch of firecrackers.

Does the underlined part sound good to you? If not, how would you say it? Thanks.
    We usually string many firecrackers in a string and set them off during Chinese New Year; that's why we coin a bunch/string of firecrackers.
    To me "a bunch of firecrackers" means a lot. I think string is closest to meaning one set of firecrackers that were all attached.

< Previous | Next >