a bunch of flowers

< Previous | Next >

Cofla

Chilean Spanish
Hi.

I need some help with this sentence:

"I want to buy Fernanda a bunch of flowers for her birthday"

I want to write this sentence changing the position of the indirect object. Here's my try:

"I wanto to buy a bunch of flowers for Fernanda for her birtday"

...:confused: I don't like this option though I think it is grammatically correct. Or maybe I should go:

"I want to buy a bunch of flowers for Fernanda as a birthday present"

I think this one is better but I need to know whether the first one is ok focusing on how I changed the position of the direct object..

Any help would be appreciated.

• walshesco

English
    Hi.

"I wanto to buy a bunch of flowers for Fernanda for her birtday"

"QUOTE]
    Hi
    You are right, gramatically this is a correct sentence. However, your second attempt is preferable using "...as a birthday present", since it avoids overuse of the word "for" and therefore sounds better.

Hope this helps.

Fabulist

Banned
    American English
    While piling one "for" prepositional phrase onto another does not violate any grammatical rules, it is bad style. I don't see anything wrong with the first sentence. If you just wrote the second sentence as an exercise in changing an indirect object to a prepositional phrase, congratulations! You did it correctly. But don't do it outside the classroom or studying. :)

Because the same preposition isn't repeated in two consecutive phrases, "I wanted to give a bunch of flowers to Fernanda for her birthday" would be better than the original second sentence. However, while we give to, we don't, in English, buy to.

< Previous | Next >