a bunch of nouns and reference

< Previous | Next >

cossack5

Russian
Hello,

For example, I have a sentence "They were disapointed with the localization quality of online service "Hippos on the Moon" performed by you" (my sentence). Could you tell me what does "perfomed by you" refers to? Localization quality or "online service Hippos on the Moon"? Or maybe here lies the ambiguity?

I wonder if it is allowed to write like that?

• cossack5

Russian
    I don't really understand the sentence. My first thought was that 'Hippos on the Moon' is a song which you performed, but presumably it isn't.
    Localization means a translation. Maybe "made" insted of "performed" looks better? The context: A man made the traslation of some online service and they (natives) were disappointed with its quality. How shall I express it in one sentence?
    How about:
    1. "They were disppointed with quality of localization of online service "Hippos on the Moon" that was made by you".
    2. "They were disppointed with the quality of online service "Hippos on the Moon" localization that was made by you".

Any ideas? I am lost, I think.

cossack5

Russian
    heypresto said:
    You could say: They were disappointed with the translation you did for 'Hippos on the Moon'.
    But there is no "quality" in your example - they were disappointed with quality not just translation itself. :)
    london calling said:
    Given your explanation, cossack, I think heypresto's suggestion is a good one. By the way, since when does localization mean translation? :confused:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_localisation. Often shortened to 'localisation/localization'.

Scholiast

привет!

As it stands, this...
    "They were disapointed with the localization quality of online service "Hippos on the Moon" performed by you" (my sentence). Could you tell me what does "perfomed by you" refers to? Localization quality or "online service Hippos on the Moon"? Or maybe here lies the ambiguity?
    is completely incomprehensible. Maybe you would like to put it into the Russian Forum, or else help us here help you with a more transparent and intelligible question?

Σ

cossack5

Russian
    is completely incomprehensible. Maybe you would like to put it into the Russian Forum, or else help us here help you with a more transparent and intelligible question?

I need to say that they were disappointed with quality of the language localisation (of the online service "Hippos on the Moon") some person had done. But in formal style/language.
    How about "They were disppointed with the localization (=translation) of the online service "Hippos on the Moon" that you did"?

heypresto

English - England
    That sounds better, but I don't think you'd need to include 'the online service' as I suspect the person who did the localisation would know what Hippos on the Moon was.

Even better, in my opinion, and simpler, would be: They were disappointed with your localisation of "Hippos on the Moon".

london calling

UK English
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_localisation. Often shortened to 'localisation/localization'.
    Your Wiki link does not say that 'localisation' is a synonym for 'translation'. It says (I quote):

Language localisation is the process of adapting a product that has been previously translated into different languages to a specific country or region (from Latin locus (place) and the English term locale, "a place where something happens or is set".

So, do you mean localisation or translation?

< Previous | Next >