a business vs business

< Previous | Next >
  • Linguisticks

English - Australia
    No, it's correct. It's a kind of business. Countable. Except it should be "The education industry".

Linguisticks

English - Australia
    Well, the coffee shop down the street is a business. The garage that services your car is a business.

I just looked at your source, and the text is badly worded and full of errors. Apparently it wasn't written by a native English speaker.

Andygc

British English
    The English on the page you have linked to in your OP is poor, so don't expect it to be grammatical. However, in this case:
    Education industry is a business these days.
    No definite article before Education because it is heading, but it would certainly be better with the definite article, and
    "a" business because the following text clearly refers to "a situation or activity, especially one that you have a particular opinion about or attitude towards" (Your Longman link - definition 7).

Jignesh77

India- hindi
    I am sorry but I am still confused about the count and non count nature of the noun "business" in my example. In the given context, are they really taking about an instance ( individual elements or unit) of the noun "business"? I have checked all the major dictionaries but still confused as to the nature of the noun (business) in the context.

Andygc

British English
    A business = a person or group of people that makes money by selling goods or services.

Business = the activity of making money by selling goods or services.

< Previous | Next >