a busy place enough, doubtless: so much the better

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The context comes from Jane Eyre Chapter 10

.... Millcote, - shire; I brushed up my recollections of the map of England, yes, I saw it; both the shire and the town. -shire was seventy miles nearer London than the remote county where I now resided: that was a recommendation to me. I longed to go where there was life and movement: Millcote was a large manufacturing town on the banks of the A-; a busy place enough, doubtless: so much the better; it would be a complete change at least. Not that my fancy was much captivated by the idea of long chimneys and clouds of smoke--"but," I argued, "Thornfield will, probably, be a good way from the town."
==
Hi everyone! I'm not sure about the meaning of the bold part. I try to interpret it as a busy place was doubtless enough: what was even better was it would be a complete change at least.". Is it correct?

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Millcote was doubtless a busy enough place [a fairly busy place]: so much the better [which was good].

It was good that Millcote was a fairly busy place because at least it would be a complete change.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Thank you for your explanation. :D

Millcote was doubtless a busy enough place [a fairly busy place]: so much the better [which was good].

It was good that Millcote was a fairly busy place because at least it would be a complete change.
    I have a little question. Why could "better" here be interpreted as "good"? :confused: The thread says:

" TheFreeDictionary has a couple of entries for it, with usage examples. Here's one of them:
    so much the better .it will be more satisfactory: People like a good story, and if it's a strange and scary story, so much the better.
    "

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Good point, and I just realised I made a mistake.
    Millcote would at least be a complete change, and even better it was no doubt a fairly busy place.

Irelia20150604

Chinese
    Oh, I see. Thank you for your explanation. :idea:

If the sentence was written as "it would be...at least; a busy place enough, doubtless: so much the better" with a "comma" in place of the " colon", I would have less difficulty to understand it.

< Previous | Next >