a caballo entre dos épocas

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Paulatina Cosafina, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Paulatina Cosafina New Member

Spanish - España
    Hola, me gustaría que me ayudaran con esta frase:
    "Este acontecimiento, a caballo entre dos momentos históricos (la guerra y la posguerra)...".
    Mi propuesta:
    "This event, occurred between two historical moments (the war and the post-war)...".
    Gracias.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015
  2. Wandering JJ

Wandering JJ Senior Member

England
    British English
    I think you need to avoid a conjugated verb (occurred) to agree with the original. Something like:

"This event, halfway between two historical moments..." You could also say "This event, occurring between two historical moments..."

3. Paulatina Cosafina New Member

Spanish - España
    Thanks a lot!

4. SydLexia Senior Member

London, EU
    UK English
    But.... what event was it? I ask because there doesn't logically seem to be a time for anything to happen 'between the war and the post-war period'.

Was this an event that took place at a particular point in time, or was it something that took place over a longer time?

syd

5. Ferrol Senior Member

Bilbao
    Spanish.España
    I think " this event spanning two historical moments..." fits better as a translation than halfway
    Saludos

6. Paulatina Cosafina New Member

Spanish - España
    SydLexia, it is the physical and moral rehabilitation of survivors of nazi concentration camps: it started during the liberations, that is, during the war, but it took a while, so it finished during the postwar period.

The sentence means here something like you cannot adequately understand this event (the rehabilitation of these survivors) if you don't know properly both contexts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2015