A calm, subdued triumph, blent with a longing earnestness

< Previous | Next >

Irelia20150604

Chinese
The quotation comes from Charlotte Brontë – Jane Eyre (Chap. 35) | Genius

Quotation: A calm, subdued triumph, blent with a longing earnestness, marked his enunciation of the last glorious verses of that chapter. The reader believed his name was already written in the Lamb’s book of life, and he yearned after the hour which should admit him to the city to which the kings of the earth bring their glory and honor; which has no need of sun or moon to shine in it, because the glory of God lightens it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Context: St. John was reading the twenty-first chapter of Revelation several hours after Jane resisted his order to be his wife.
===
Hi everyone! I have a question about the bold part. It's vague to me. How to make it clear? My try is as below.

triumph => 2 : the joy or exultation of victory or success [M-W dictionary]

A calm, subdued triumph => He was exultant with the belief that he had developed into a conquer*, so there was a "triumph". However, as he still kept calm and suppressed the joy, the "triumph" was "calm" and 'subdued".
conquer* => as in "conquers" underlined in my reference.

a longing earnestness => He read the chapter with all earnestness that suggested his longing for the admittance to the glory city, the New Jerusalem.

Revelation 21 English Standard Version: Revelation 21 ESV

I've referred t my thread: He that overcometh shall inherit all things
The Greek word in the original literally means "conquers", or "wins the victory in the battle." The idea is that life is a struggle, in which the believer is beset not only by temptations to do evil things, but also by actual persecution by wicked people. However, the believer who, by remaining faithful, prevails against/ wins in the battle against/ overcomes all of these troubles will be rewarded in the end.

• dojibear

AE (US English)
    Context: St. John was reading the twenty-first chapter of Revelation several hours after Jane resisted his order to be his wife.
    Are you sure you mean Saint John? Saint John wrote the book, 1500 years before Joan was born.

A calm, subdued triumph, blent with a longing earnestness, marked his enunciation of the last glorious verses of that chapter.
    It is clear from "marked his enunciation" that the part in bold describes a set of emotions - it is not a description of actual actions in the plot.

He is reading the "last" verses, so he has read quite a lot of the book - out loud. He is busy reading a book, so he is not reflecting on his personal life. The described feelings are feelings which came from reading the book.

A calm, subdued triumph => He was exultant with the belief that he had developed into a conquer*, so there was a "triumph".
    No. There is no indication that he "believed" he personally had a conquest, a triumph.

dojibear

AE (US English)
    Thanks. I remember now. There are many last names starting with Saint, like Saint-Clair in The Da Vinci Code.

I got confused by someone named St. John reading a book written by St. John.

It is less common in the U.S. The only one I can think of is Jill St. John, who was in a 1971 James Bond movie.

< Previous | Next >