A candlestick for multiple candles - what's the name?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Sutemi, Feb 11, 2013.

  1. Sutemi Senior Member

    Sorry if I'm wrong, but do candlesticks for multiple candles have some other name than just simply "candlesticks"?

    Is this just a candlestick or does it have some specific name?

  2. entangledbank

    entangledbank Senior Member

    English - South-East England
    Yes: a candelabrum or candelabra. The latter was originally plural of the former, but has largely taken over as singular too.
  3. PaulQ

    PaulQ Senior Member

    English - England
    There is a candelabra that is called a menorah; this is an item sacred to Judaism.
  4. Egmont Senior Member

    Massachusetts, U.S.
    English - U.S.
    A minor correction here: while the menorah is used in Jewish religious practice, the item itself is not sacred in any way.
  5. Sutemi Senior Member

    Thank you so much for your answers. I spent 10 minutes trying to Google "candelaria" and in the end I came out empty-handed.

Share This Page