1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

a candy?

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by klaudek626, Dec 4, 2013.

1. klaudek626 Senior Member

polski
    Hello,

I'm confused can I say: I want a candy. (meaning one sweet? or it has to be followed by something or I should add 'a piece of' at the beginning? I know that candy is both countable and uncountable. So is it correct to say: 'a candy'?)

Thanks in advance

2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi there,

just as a side note, given that it's a Polish forum, we may well write in Polish. Anyway...

Well, you've pretty much answered your question yourself. It depends simply on whether you conceive of it as one candy or think of it more as a generic term, 'słodycze'. What's your intended meaning?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  3. klaudek626 Senior Member

polski
    Przepraszam była całkowicie pewna, że piszę w 'English only':)
    Czyli jeśli mam worek cukierków i pytam: Do you want a candy? Mam na myśli jednego, czyli tak może być?

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Come to think of it, the Polish 'słodycze', meaning 'candy', is most often plural. I don't remember coming across it in singular.

But answering the original question, yes, you can use it like that. Would you like a candy? :)

EDIT: Właśnie zauważyłem, że napisałaś post.

5. DW

DW Banned

Polish
    - Hey, grandpa, give me a candy. One more time, please, please. [countable]
    - Johnny, you've been eating too much candy of late, I'm affraid. I won't give you any more today! [uncountable]

Hope it helps.