A "captive" vehicle sales channel

< Previous | Next >

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
Hi,

I'm looking for an interpretation of "captive".

There isn't much information about the context, but it's about an order category for a vehicle dealer.

Anyway, "captive" is used to describe a special vehicle sales channel for courtesy cars used to support workshop customer service as well as cars used as demonstrators.

I have looked for an appropriate translation of "captive" in many dictionaries, and the most likely interpretation I've found so far is "fixed" or "stationary".

Maybe, this is a "stationary" sales channel because the vehicle will remain at the dealer's outlet?

Does anybody have an idea whether this interpretation of "captive" could be reasonable?

Thanks.

• Prairiefire

US (Midwest) - English
    A 'captive market,' for a seller, is a buyer or or a group of buyers who are unable to purchase the goods in question from any other seller. For example, when spectators are prohibited from bringing refreshments into a sports arena, they are a 'captive market' for the food and beverage vendors inside the arena.

Does that meaning fit in the context of the material you are reading?

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Here is a link to a company that deals in captive TV channels for grocery stores. I surmise from this that "captive channels" are those TV channels you see in stores that advertise to you while you shop. I would say that "captive" refers to the captive audience that is compelled to watch them, although those who sell these may define it differently. (This is similar to Prairiefire's suggestion.)

This would suggest that the TVs are located in the salesrooms or even the cars themselves. Does that seem possible?

lian.alon22

US
    US-English
    I think that that's a really good shot, Cagey, and probably in the salesrooms. I know that this term was used before they had DVD players in vehicles, although I suppose today that it's a good possibility.

Emil100

Denmark, Danish
    A 'captive market,' for a seller, is a buyer or or a group of buyers who are unable to purchase the goods in question from any other seller. For example, when spectators are prohibited from bringing refreshments into a sports arena, they are a 'captive market' for the food and beverage vendors inside the arena.

Does that meaning fit in the context of the material you are reading?
    Hi,

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

Unfortunately, there isn't stated much context in my text, but -yes- maybe this is, in fact, about a 'captive market' according to Prairiefire's description.

Maybe it's such a captive market in our example because customers can only buy demo vehicles or cars previously used as courtesy cars from that particular dealer - probably at reduced prices.

In an English-Danish dictionary, I have now also found a definition of "captive market": In English, this definition corresponds to "a market protected against competition".

Yes, that could make sense in this case.

< Previous | Next >