A car of my own

roadtosuccess

Korean
This is a car of my own.

We use this type of exxpression a lot. My question is " This is the car of my own." Would this be correct?
To me it does sound ackward. Would anyone care to explain why?

• Glenfarclas

English (American)
    This is a car of my own.

We use this type of exxpression a lot.
    Hmm -- I wouldn't say I use that type of expression a lot. Maybe in sentences like "He finally got a car of his own," but not in ordinary descriptions to mean "This is a car of mine" or "This is my car."

My question is " This is the car of my own." Would this be correct?
    To me it does sound ackward. Would anyone care to explain why?
    Not unless the sentence continued with something like ". . . that I was telling you about."

"This is the car of mine." :cross:
    "This is the car of mine you've heard so much about." :tick:

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think that we use "of my own" most often when we want to contrast this with something belonging to someone else.

"My father will let me use his car whenever I ask him, but I want a car of my own."

Xander2024

Russian
    I think that we use "of my own" most often when we want to contrast this with something belonging to someone else.

"My father will let me use his car whenever I ask him, but I want a car of my own."
    Hi Cagey, but would it be also correct to say "my own car" in this case? Are both "I want to buy my own car" and "I want to buy a car of my own" grammatically correct? For some reason, I would not use the former and I don't advise my students to do so either but I cannot explain the difference between the two sentences.

Thank you.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Both are correct and both are relatively common, but I see them as slightly different:

"I want to buy my own car" has a nuance of wanting be free to choose the car independently rather than have someone buy any car for you. It does not necessarily mean "... with my own money."

Father: "A friend has a car for sale. I thought it might suit you. Do you want it?"
    Son: "Not really, I want to buy my own car."

and

"I want to buy a car of my own" has a nuance of wanting to pay for a car for exclusive personal use. As per Cagey's, "My father will let me use his car whenever I ask him, but I want a car of my own."

< Previous | Next >