A carpenter and a joiner

< Previous | Next >

Cecilio

Spanish, Valencian/Catalan
Hello! I'd like to know the difference in meaning, if any, between the words "carpenter" and "joiner". Can they both be translated as Spanish "carpintero" or "ebanista"?

• krolaina

Spanish, Spain
    Carpenter:A skilled worker who makes, finishes, and repairs wooden objects and structures.
    Jointer: A woodworker whose work involves making things by joining pieces of wood.

¿Sirven las definiciones?

mateitop

UK, English
    A carpenter is more general, a joiner works specifically on items installed into houses such as cabinets, kitchen furniture, panelling, whilst a carpenter is a much older term, and it's usage is more varied and applied to all sorts of wooden things....

I think.

Cecilio

So maybe a good translation for "joiner" could be "ebanista", but none of the dictionaries I have used provide this translation. In WordRefrence they translated is as "carpintero de obra". It's a bit confusing.

Cecilio

And then we have "cabinet-maker", which is generally translated as "ebanista". Are a "cabinet-maker" and a "joiner" similar?

germinal

England English
    Hello! I'd like to know the difference in meaning, if any, between the words "carpenter" and "joiner". Can they both be translated as Spanish "carpintero" or "ebanista"?
    Carpenter and joiner have come to mean anyone who works with wood. Strictly speaking, a joiner is a woodworker who constructs the wooden parts of a building, joists, flooring, windows, doors etc. A carpenter is a man skilled in the making of any wooden/timber structure, including boats.

An ebanista would seem to be the equivalent of a cabinet maker who makes finer objects from more expensive timbers - such as mahogany, ebony, rosewood etc.

< Previous | Next >