A case of " ...own".

maraba

Spain
Hallo everybody; I would like you to give me some help regarding the following complication. What I want to mean would be easily expressed by myself like this:

"The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than that of their pupils.

Or:

"The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than their pupils' level."

But the problem is that I've set my mind on using the form "...own"; for example:

"The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than their pupils own."

Is that ok?

(Thank you.)

• mgarizona

US - American English
    How about: "Foreign language teachers much select input (?) that is varied yet comprehensible, at a level (of proficiency) slightly more advanced than the students' own."

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    How about;

Foreign language teachers much select subject material that is comprehensible to students yet is varied and challenging (to engage their interest).

maraba

Spain
    I think that you haven't understood me at all; sorry, it ought to be my fault. What I just want to know is whether the third phrase form (own form) is grammatically correct.
    Anyway, for your suggestion...
    How about: "Foreign language teachers much select input (?) that is varied yet comprehensible, at a level (of proficiency) slightly more advanced than the students' own."
    ..., you have answered me indirectly, so I suppose I must add an apostrophe:

"The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but (yet) comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than their pupils' own."

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    "The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than their pupils' own."
    I think that both mgarizona and I understand this point and our answers are valid with this point in mind.

SpanishStudent_39

USA (English)
    To answer your original question, your third sentence is not grammatically correct. Instead of "than their pupils own", I suggest than their pupils' own level. You could also say "than that of their pupils".

To me, it sounds awkward to say "than their pupils' own." and leave it at that, because "pupils' own" is a possessive modifier and expects a noun to follow it. But I'm not saying that it is incorrect.

Also, I would not capitalize "foreign language teachers". I don't think "foreign language teachers" is a proper noun. A proper noun includes the title of a particular person place or thing, like "The American Association of Foreign Language Teachers".

So I suggest the following (blue corrections are optional):

:tick: "The input that foreign language teachers select must be varied but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than that of their pupils".

Anyone agree/disagree?

maraba

Spain
    To answer your original question, your third sentence is not grammatically correct. Instead of "than their pupils own", I suggest than their pupils' own level. You could also say "than that of their pupils".

To me, it sounds awkward to say "than their pupils' own." and leave it at that, because "pupils' own" is a possessive modifier and expects a noun to follow it. But I'm not saying that it is incorrect.

Also, I would not capitalize "foreign language teachers". I don't think "foreign language teachers" is a proper noun. A proper noun includes the title of a particular person place or thing, like "The American Association of Foreign Language Teachers".

So I suggest the following (blue corrections are optional):

:tick: "The input that foreign language teachers select must be varied but comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than that of their pupils".

Anyone agree/disagree?
    Yes, (you've been very clarifying in your explanation, for what I can but be grateful); but your suggestion was finally my first option in the starting post (the capital letters excepted).
    What I had in mind was to use the word "own", like:

Then, turning to me, he said in German worse than my own:-
    "There is no carriage here. (...)"
    (Fragment from Dracula, by Bram Stoker.)

. 1

Banned
    Australian Australia
    Then, turning to me, he said in German worse than my own:-
    "There is no carriage here. (...)"
    (Fragment from Dracula, by Bram Stoker.)
    This is a different situation with 'my own:' being somewhat different to 'my own.'
    What you are trying to do is to take archaic usage from a fictional novel and transpose that usage, in a varied form, into the modern real world.

It is always dangerous to use fictional novels as a basis for current usage and it is more precarious to use a novel written so long ago.

Bram Stoker and Jane Austen and Charles Dickens and Arthur Conan Doyle were excellent writers but nobody uses, "It's elementary" unless in jest and if you wandered around speaking like Jane Austin you would be passed off in most circles as being an affectatious snob.

The reason that we remember most fictional writers has nothing to do with the substance of their writing but rather the style. Anybody can write a scary story but only idiosyncratic writers like Bram Stoker can chill your very soul with the choice of words and the emphatic placement of some common words in places that are not common for them will cause the reader to interpret differently.

I think that it feels strange to end a sentence with 'than their pupils' own'. There are multiple possessives that are potentially confusing.

Martiux

United States
    You shouldn't use "own" but rather just "pupils'".

"The input Foreign Language Teachers select must be varied, but (yet) comprehensible at the same time, with a level a little bit more complex than their pupils'."

This sounds natural and can't be confused.

< Previous | Next >