a caso da

_poppy_

English, UK
Hi,

Can anybody translate the expression 'a caso da' for me? Does it mean 'except'?

Thanks!

• _poppy_

English, UK
    Yeah, it's a little complicated! I'm reading some literary criticism written in Italian and it says (...) una scrittura che procede per associazioni, a caso da Il Serpente.... Could it perhaps mean 'nel caso di' ?

combustion

Italian, Italy
    _poppy_ said:
    Yeah, it's a little complicated! I'm reading some literary criticism written in Italian and it says (...) una scrittura che procede per associazioni, a caso da Il Serpente.... Could it perhaps mean 'nel caso di' ?
    In this context "a caso" probably means "randomly"... and "da" means simply "from"... does it make sense?
    bye, comb...

_poppy_

English, UK
    combustion said:
    In this context "a caso" probably means "randomly"... and "da" means simply "from"... does it make sense?
    bye, comb...
    Yeah, so it means 'at random in Il Serpente'. Thanks! Poppy x

**ellie**

Italian-Italy
    _poppy_ said:
    Sorry, but can you give us the whole sentence starting from "a caso da", what follows "Il Serpente"? It may be helpful.

_poppy_

English, UK
    **ellie** said:
    Sorry, but can you give us the whole sentence starting from "a caso da", what follows "Il Serpente"? It may be helpful.
    What follows is just a quote from the novel itself...

TimLA

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    combustion said:
    No, the acceptation is different... a caso=randomly, willy-nilly , per caso=by chance, foruitously...
    I hope it is clear!
    comb...
    I think I need more help here. Random and willy-nilly (a caso) seem to me to be "by chance". Fortuitously (fortunately) indicates that something occurred by chance (random, willy-nilly) but was a good outcome.

Could you use "a caso" and "per caso" in two sentences that might help me?

I know the singing group "Neri per Caso" and assumed the translation would be "Black by Chance" or ?by accident?

Grazie in anticipo
    tim

combustion

Italian, Italy
    I mean: if you're programming and you need a series of number random you may say that the program is choosing numbers "a caso" (usually it isn't true:D)... if you meet a friend of yours when you have not planned to, after that you may say "I met him "per caso"".

I hope now it is clear!
    comb...

< Previous | Next >