a cat - قط transliteration

• ayed

Arabic(Saudi)
    It is "QiTTon"(masculine) or QiTTaton (femininie).Notice that the letter"T"is mushaddad"doubled"

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Where did you come up with "taqaf?" :confused:

That means "you (m.) stop" or "she stops." :)

Ayed, just one nit-picky remark:

I would transliterate it as "qiTT(at)un," which I think is more officially correct - even though in casual speech/reading I would personally probably say "qiTT(at)on."

CarlosPerezMartinez

Spain, Spanish
    Where did you come up with "taqaf?" :confused:

That means "you (m.) stop" or "she stops." :)

Ayed, just one nit-picky remark:

I would transliterate it as "qiTT(at)un," which I think is more officially correct - even though in casual speech/reading I would personally probably say "qiTT(at)on."
    It is Ta-Qaf if you read it from left to right :)

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I'm curious about the etymology of these words. Can anyone tell me what it is?
    Do you have in mind the English word "cat" ? :D Well, I don't know the etymology of the word qit (qitta is only the feminine form, so it's not really another word). We spoke a bit about cats names in Arabic in a previous thread, maybe you'd like to give it a look.

By th way, there's another Arabic word for cat : hirr هِـرّ and the feminine is hirra هِـرَّة .

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Do you have in mind the English word "cat" ?
    "Kitten", more precisely. :)
    Although it's a long shot, since it seems everyone around the Mediterranean ended up with a similar word for "cat". Thank you for the link. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >