A cat caught a mouse idioms in English

< Previous | Next >

vahit

Turkish-Turkey
Hi everyone. In Turkish we have an idiom meaning someone is usually useless, unskilful and loser but once in a blue moon he-she could do a great job. In this situation we say you are a cat and caught a Mouse but what is the idiom version in English? I searched it dictionaries but I couldn't find it. Can you help me, please?

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    Outside Turkey, cats catch mice all the time ... usually because they're good at it. So I think it's odd that to think that an animal that is useless, unskilled and a loser could occasionally catch a mouse (not that I'm trying to change your idiom). :)

I think this is more of a "sometimes even a failure succeeds" sort of idiom/maxim. Let me think.

First up: Even losers get lucky sometimes.

vahit

Turkish-Turkey
    Thank you all guys. "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" idiom is what I was looking for. At last I learned it. Thanks again...

heypresto

English - England
    These idioms seem easy enough to make up:

Even an elephant forgets his own name once in a while.

Even Michael McIntyre says something funny once in a while.

Even one of an infinite number of monkeys types the Complete Works of Shakespeare once every infinite number of years.

(Though perhaps this last one doesn't trip off the tongue as smoothly as the squirrel one does.)

pob14

American English
    The "blind squirrel" one is exactly what came to mind when I read the OP (although it's "acorn" in my version). It must be AE-specific (and therefore I'm surprised Copyright hasn't heard it).

Barque

Tamil
    Thank you all guys. "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" idiom is what I was looking for. At last I learned it. Thanks again...
    I think the stopped clock one fits your context better than the squirrel one. It specifically refers to people who are usually wrong. Your choice of course but thought I'd point it out.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I like the other better. A blind squirrel who finds a nut has "done a great job", as OP says losers sometimes do. A broken clock does not function correctly for two minutes each day. It only seems to be right (by coincidence) for those minutes.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    I like the other better. A blind squirrel who finds a nut has "done a great job"... A broken clock does not function correctly for two minutes each day. It only seems to be right (by coincidence) for those minutes.
    I couldn't agree more.

(Sometimes even Emp answers correctly.
    Sometimes even a poor/bad scientist invents something accidentally.)

< Previous | Next >