A cat of a different coat (Game of Thrones)

School 41

Russian
Hello,

Could you please explain the meaning of the word "coat" in the context of the song that was in the Game of Thrones TV series:

<-----Excess quote removed by moderator (Florentia52)----->
Only a cat of a different coat,
that's all the truth I know.
In a coat of gold or a coat of red,
a lion still has claws,
<…>

I would like to post a link to a wiki article devoted to this song: The Rains of Castamere
I am sorry for an external link but the artice is not very long. and I wold not be able to describe the context referring to this song by my own words.

So what does "coat' stands for?
1) Is it "an outer garment with sleeves, covering at least the upper part of the body"?
2) Is a coat of arms?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I think this is a different way of saying "a horse of another color," which is a common idiom meaning "something different and unexpected."

A cat of a different coat would be, not the cat you expect to see, but a cat which has a very different appearance.

Dictionary meaning of "coat" is:
    a natural covering, such as hair, the bark of a tree, or the skin of a fruit:an animal's fur coat.

School 41

Russian
    Thank you, Mr. Sparky.

But I think I chose wrong title for this thread. Actually "A cat of a different coat" is a quotation from this song. It's well known amoung Game of Thrones fans but not amoung other people.

A "cat" here stands for "lion". The song is about 2 noble families who were fighting each other. Both families had a lion as an emblem (sigil). But those lions had different colours - one of them was gold, the other one was red. And the head of one of the families ("a proud lord") said to the head of the other family (his leige lord) that the only difference betwen them is the colour of their lions (which he called "cats")
    So I ask you to change the title of this thread to just "Coat (Game of Thrones)"

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    2) Is a coat of arms?
    Partly.

Only a cat of a different coat, = Only a lion on a different coat of arms,
    that's all the truth I know. = I'm telling you the truth
    In a coat1 of gold or a coat1 of red, = It does not matter whether it (the lion) is covered in gold, or covered in red
    a lion still has claws,

1 Here "coat" is a pun. It means either "coat of arms" or "coat of paint" (a 'coat of paint' is how we describe a layer of paint.)

< Previous | Next >