a certain amount of money

wanabee

Japanese
Dear all,

She put a certain amount of money in her bank account.

I made it up. Would you take "a certain amount of money" to mean "some money (though not much)"?

• e2efour

UK English
    I understand it as meaning some money.
    Your sentence sounds a little strange in isolation. I mean why should one bother to write a certain amount of instead of some?
    If it were a certain amount of the money, I would find it a normal substitution for some of.

Last edited:

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    No. "Certain" has nothing to do with the value of the money.

A certain amount -> a specific but unstated amount that is not the whole amount.

"Jane needed $149 for that new dress and, when she was given $200, a certain amount of the money would not be spent on groceries."

"A certain amount of money is wasted by heating empty rooms."

wanabee

Japanese
    Thank you very much, e2efour and PaulQ!
    If I change the original sentence to "She put a certain amount of money her son asked for in his bank account," then would "a certain amount of money" be narrowed down to "a specific but unstated amount of money"?

She put a certain amount of money in her bank account.
    I made it up. Would you take "a certain amount of money" to mean "some money (though not much)"?

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Two small, unrelated change -> She put a certain amount of money that her son asked for into his bank account," and that is fine. (This assumes that we do not know how much her son had requested.)

< Previous | Next >