a certain level of talent

< Previous | Next >

Lorena1970

Banned
Italy, Italiano
Hi all,

"a certain level of talent" is an excerpt from a sentence pronounced by Janis Joplin shortly before she died. Given that I must render it in Italia at its best, I am wondering about how to translate that "certain". Of course it could be " un certo grado di talento", but I don't like it, as she refers for sure to success, given that it was referred to herself and she was over the top at that time.
And of course, I think, "certain" here means "huge".

After you reach a certain level of talent (and quite a few have that talent) the deciding factor is ambition, or as I see it, how much you really need. Need to be loved and need to be proud of yourself. And I guess that’s what ambition is - it’s not all a depraved quest for position…or money. Maybe it’s for love. Lots of love! (Janis Joplin)

Quando hai già raggiunto il successo ( e pochi raggiungono un ampio/grande/vero successo) il fattore decisivo è l'ambizione, o meglio, per come la penso io, quanto davvero ti serve.

It's not a literal translation as in my view saying "un certo grado di talento" doesn't make sense, as the concept to convey is that when you have made it, then you must think over what you really want, as your level of ambition may influence your choices in one direction or another. So if your choice is love, you probably will remain yourself and you will keep dealing with quality and intensity of your work. If it is money or position, you may chose to change yourself in order to obtain more and more and more.

Do you agree with my translation or do you think that "certain level of talent" should be translated differently, for instance with "
power" (an alternative I am thinking about)?

Thank you

• Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    I would disagree. She’s talking about a given level of talent which is actually quite common, before talking about what sets you above that level.
    Not sure to understand...she says "and quite a few have that talent". If it would be a common level, why just a few have it...?:confused:
    The sentence was pronounced when she was already hugely successful.....and referred, I still suppose, to having already got success and thinking of what to do of this success...i.e. what should the next step be.

Maybe it is not "huge" but simply "great", it depends on what it means referred to the person. Anyway I mean "when you have made it (and quite a few made it)"

Last edited:

Holymaloney

English (UK) / Italian - bilingual
    Ciao Lo :)
    Secondo me lei (Janis) per talento intende bravura ;) quindi forse '...una volta che raggiungi un tale livello di bravura...
    Io interpreto questa frase così : una volta arrivati ad un tale livello di bravura (quindi non mediocre), il fattore determinante (per andare oltre) è l'ambizione o meglio, non tanto quello che vuoi ma quello di cui hai più bisogno.
    ;)

sorry66

English, England
    "and quite a few have that talent"
    I think she was just being modest.
    That's also why she says a 'certain level of talent' rather than saying 'a high level'; and she says 'reach' too as if it's something you don't have naturally and have to work on - so there again she was being modest about her talent.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Secondo me lei (Janis) per talento intende bravura ;) quindi forse '...una volta che raggiungi un tale livello di bravura...
    Io interpreto questa frase così : una volta arrivati ad un tale livello di bravura (quindi non mediocre), il fattore determinante (per andare oltre) è l'ambizione o meglio, non tanto quello che vuoi ma quello di cui hai più bisogno.
    ;)
    il talento non è quantificabile: se c'è c'è, quindi il termine talento è da escludere, secondo me. La bravura in effetti può migliorare. Quindi può essere come dici tu, ma piuttosto "una volta che hai dimostrato di essere davvero bravo/che ce l'hai fatta (e sono tanti quelli bravi / tra tante persone brave)". Credo di sì, grazie.

I think she was just being modest.
    That's also why she says a 'certain level of talent' rather than saying 'a high level'; and she says 'reach' too as if it's something you don't have naturally and have to work on - so there again she was being modest about her talent.
    I agree. Unfortunately in Italian the concept of "understatement" doesn't exist, so It cannot be applied here. That's why I turned to "success", as generally this sentence is reported in Italian.

"Quite a few" means a good number: now you point it out, it does see rather like the opposite doesn't it? Nevertheless, that's the sense.
    Aha...!!!!! Right, of course..........! "quite a few" = e molti /parecchi hanno talento. Stupid me!

But there is still something that I don't like in the discussed translations.............Probably is that nuance of modesty shown by a superstar which is difficult to render in Italian.......

OPZIONI:

1)
    Dopo aver/Una volta raggiunto un certo successo ( e parecchi lo /che parecchi raggiungono) .....

2)
    Una volta che hai raggiunto un determinato grado di bravura (raggiunto anche da tanti altri)

3) Dopo aver già ottenuto un certo successo ( e parecchi ci riescono/hanno questa capacità/hanno questo talento)
    this one sounds the best to me!

What do you think, 1 or 2? Thanks

Last edited:

millebolle

Italian
    I would disagree. She’s talking about a given level of talent which is actually quite common, before talking about what sets you above that level.
    Sono d'accordo.
    Io tradurrei così: Dopo che hai raggiunto un certo livello di abilità (e un bel po' di gente ce l'ha), il fattore decisivo e' l'ambizione, o, per come la vedo io, di quanto hai davvero bisogno. Bisogno di essere amata e bisogno di essere fiera di te stessa.

Ho visto che questa citazione riguarda il successo, ma secondo me JJoplin non sta commentando il successo in sè, ma come ottenerlo e perché solo pochi artisti lo raggiungono, nonostante abbiano sufficienti capacità tecniche.

Ciao

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Ho visto che questa citazione riguarda il successo, ma secondo me JJoplin non sta commentando il successo in sè, ma come ottenerlo e perché solo pochi artisti lo raggiungono, nonostante abbiano sufficienti capacità tecniche.
    Ciao
    Grazie, però dissento sull'interpretazione: sta esprimendo il significato di ambizione una volta che hai già il successo, ovvero cosa volere una volta che si è raggiunto il successo, perché continuare, quale è la motivazione.... vedi Sorry 66...;)

rrose17

Canada, English
    She’s talking about a given level of talent which is actually quite common, before talking about what sets you above that level.
    Io tradurrei così: Dopo che hai raggiunto un certo livello di abilità (e un bel po' di gente ce l'ha), il fattore decisivo e' l'ambizione, o, per come la vedo io, di quanto hai davvero bisogno. Bisogno di essere amata e bisogno di essere fiera di te stessa.

:thumbsup: There are a lot of talented people out there, what distinguishes the successful ones is driving ambition, which is derived from the need to be loved.

bridgetjones

Italian
    ;)
    Anch'io penso che si riferisca alla bravura e non al successo

I still think that talent is mostly a static concept unless ability that is a dynamic concept. It's either you have talent or you don't. But every consideration is valid if we think at the universe of artists instead at a single one.
    It is like saying "100% artists reach talent level 1, 60% reach talent level 2, 30% reach talent level 3. When you reach level 3 then what makes the dfference is how much you need to be loved and how much you are hungry for fame.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    30% reach talent level 3. When you reach level 3 then what makes the dfference is how much you need to be loved and how much you are hungry for fame.
    Direi che a quel punto conta solo l'ambizione. Che per lei è essere amata dal maggior numero di persone. Mi è stato fatto notare che lei ha una storia alle spalle che determina questa sua fame. Io credo ci siano altri personaggi, pochi, che raggiunto un certo livello desiderino principalmente essere amati, che significa anche apprezzati, compresi, stimati. La parola "love" in inglese ha più significati e non significa necessariamente amore romantico.

esky

English/Italian - bilingual
    Quando arrivi a un certo livello di talento(e un bel po' di gente lo fa) quello che conta è l'ambizione...
    :thumbsup:

oppure

'Quando raggiungi un certo livello di talento (e sono in tanti che c'è l'hanno) il fattore decisivo è l'ambizione'

Io penso che sia sempre meglio tradurre che interpretare, rispettando ovviamente il contesto e registro linguistico.

Isn't this fun?! :)

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    oppure

'Quando raggiungi un certo livello di talento (e sono in tanti che c'è l'hanno) il fattore decisivo è l'ambizione'
    Io penso che sia sempre meglio tradurre che interpretare, rispettando ovviamente il contesto e il registro linguistico
    Non è questione di interpretare: il talento o si ha o non si ha. Non lo si "raggiunge". Spiegatemi come si fa a raggiungere una dote innata...??? :confused:

Se avesse avuto senso tradurre in modo letterale forse non avrei aperto il thread, no...?

Last edited:

sorry66

English, England
    It would be useful to know what question Joplin was asked before she responded.
    Spiegatemi come si fa a raggiungere una dote innata...??? :confused:
    She does use the word 'reach' , however, which is puzzling. What's clear is that her success is down to her strong need for love (the love that was lacking in her childhood, perhaps) and the need to feel good about herself.

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    It would be useful to know what question Joplin was asked before she responded.

She does use the word 'reach' , however, which is puzzling. What's clear is that her success is down to her strong need for love (the love that was lacking in her childhood, perhaps) and the need to feel good about herself.
    The sentence is often translated with the word "successo" . Anyway, just to make things clear, I am not interested in understand what for her was the meaning (I know you are right Sorry, but it is a sentence that means more in itself than what it means for JJ) but in understanding HOW TALENT can be translated in order to use this sentence as a quote for a completely different context, where what we want to express is that there is a difference in the result of what we do between being ambitious/acting ambitiously because we want to be loved (=understood, appreciated, respected etc.) or because we want to achieve power, huge amounts of money, political position or whatever else. Given that it is supposed to be published in an Italian completely different context, I needed to discuss HOW to translate that word "TALENT" which according to the OED has many different meanings:

talent
    noun - she demonstrated her talent for modelling with clay: flair, aptitude, facility, gift, knack, technique, touch, bent, ability, expertise, capacity, power, faculty; strength, strong point, forte, genius, brilliance; dexterity, adroitness, skill, cleverness, virtuosity, artistry. ANTONYMS inability, clumsiness.

So, for instance, "power" , which in this context is the power to move and excite hundreds of people, and can be translated with "potere espressivo", "skill" = "bravura etc.
    The help I was looking for was in how to properly translate this sentence, as "Dopo che hai raggiunto un certo grado di bravura" doesn't sound good to me.
    The best to me is "Quando hai già dimostrato il tuo talento/la tua bravura (e ci riescono in tanti) il fattore decisivo è l'ambizione, o meglio, per come la penso io, quanto hai ancora bisogno.

sorry66

English, England
    @chipulukusu But even at a group level, it's odd to talk about talent in this way. I think she's trying to deflect the discussion from the uncomfortable topic of 'talent' to what she wants to talk about: love and ambition.
    Quando hai già dimostrato il tuo talento/la tua bravura
    That could work, but I wouldn't say it was a faithful translation!

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    @chipulukusu But even at a group level, it's odd to talk about talent in this way. I think she's trying to deflect the discussion from the uncomfortable topic of 'talent' to what she wants to talk about: love and ambition.
    ...Not so sure.

That could work, but I wouldn't say it was a faithful translation! My bad: "Quando hai già dimostrato il tuo grande talento " I think this is a proper translation, or at least the best possible one.

Pietruzzo

Italian
    Basically, she's saying "quando ti trovi ad avere un certo talento(quel tipo di talento che un bel po' di gente ha), quello che fa la differenza è l'ambizione"

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Basically, she's saying "quando ti trovi ad avere un certo talento(quel tipo di talento che un bel po' di gente ha), quello che fa la differenza è l'ambizione"
    Grazie.
    Ecco, questa sì, mi illumina "Quando già possiedi un grande talento /quando sei già dotato di un grande talento ( come accade a molti) il fattore decisivo è l'ambizione, o meglio, direi, quanto vuoi ottenere. Hai bisogno di amore e di essere orgoglioso di te stesso. Immagino l'ambizione sia questo - non una smodata ricerca di potere o di denaro. Piuttosto di amore. Moltissimo amore.

tsoapm

English (England)
    I don’t mean to be a nuisance, but I don't think that's it. I think the reach part is probably the part to draw on, rather than the talent part. I think she's using "talent" inexactly to mean ability, whether inborn or otherwise. As you rightly said:
    come si fa a raggiungere una dote innata...?
    To be honest, though the online OED insists on talent being a "natural" aptitude or skill, I think it may be used more loosely, and that I've probably done so myself many times.

If "reach" has any sense at all, I think it's incompatible with 'possedere già'. I reckon these are along the right lines:
    Una volta che hai raggiunto un determinato grado di bravura
    Dopo che hai raggiunto un certo livello di abilità

Lorena1970

Banned
    Italy, Italiano
    Thanks tsoapm, I must admit that I feel confused...:confused:I am tempted to leave it in English..................I will think about it later on as now I really cannot decide anything. Thanks everybody! I think we have considered all possible and less possible options.:)

< Previous | Next >