a certified Studio Party

< Previous | Next >

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
Hello everyone. I would like to know what "a certified Studio Party" means in the following sentences:

She was taken to a certified Studio Party, with beer, cigarettes, bobbed hair, and a Russian Jewess who sang the Internationale. It cannot be reported that Carol had anything significant to say to the Bohemians. She was awkward with them, and felt ignorant, and she was shocked by the free manners which she had for years desired. But she heard and remembered discussions of Freud, Romain Rolland, syndicalism, the Confederation Generale du Travail, feminism vs. haremism, Chinese lyrics, nationalization of mines, Christian Science, and fishing in Ontario.

- Sinclair Lewis, Main Street, Chapter 1

Staying in Chicago for a year to study librarian work, Carol enjoyed symphonies, violin recitals, movie-watching, and classic dancing. One day she even went to a "certified Studio Party."

In this part, I could not understand what was a studio party, and why it was "certified."
Are there other studio parties which are not certified? How do people certify the parties?

I would very much appreciate your help. :)

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    OED:
    studio party n. (a) an informal party held in an artist's studio; (b) (now usually) a social gathering at a film studio.
    1875 London Society May 438/2 The conviction that this studio party has been the best and jolliest upon record.

Certified = genuine; authentic; real. (Certified is used in a weakened sense, i.e. "as if it had been certified". Nobody does any "certifying".)

She was taken to an authentic Studio Party, with beer, cigarettes, bobbed hair, ...

Last edited:

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Certified is used in a weakened sense, i.e. "as if it had been certified".
    Dear PaulQ,

Thank you very much for the clear explanation.
    Then she went to the genuine, authentic studio party (a party held in an artist's studio) where there were beer and cigarettes and bobbed hair.

As for the reason why the author used the expression as "certified" to mean "authentic," would it be okay to think that probably Carol had someone to depend on when it came to the art (some artist, maybe?), and that person recognized the party?

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    would it be okay to think that probably Carol had someone to depend on when it came to the art (some artist, maybe?), and that person recognized the party?
    No. Unless the greater context indicates otherwise, "She was taken to a certified Studio Party," is the author using "certified" to demonstrate that Carol recognized that it was not merely a party that someone had thrown and called it a studio party. Carol has a preconceived idea of what it should be before she arrives - her reaction is then given.

Tea Addict

Republic of Korea Korean
    Dear PaulQ,

Oh! Now I see. Then the party was not some casual party thrown by someone who just named it "a studio party," but was a true, authentic Studio Party, with all the artists present.
    Thank you for giving me the additional explanation. Now my doubts are solved completely thanks to you! :)

< Previous | Next >