A chameleon does not leave one tree until he is sure of ...

ande3674

English - American
This is an Arabic Proverb that I have found on numerous websites, however I am having difficulty finding it written in Arabic:

"A chameleon does not leave one tree until he is sure of another"

Please only respond if you are sure, as I plan to get it tattooed on my body :) Also, if you know the source, that would also be appreciated.

Thank you

• Josh_

U.S., English
    Hello Ande3674 and welcome to the forums,

I believe I found the source of this proverb, and its attribution to Arabic. The only thing is that I could not find the phrase with the word for chameleon (الحرباء al-Hirbaa') in it.

The phrase is:

لا يخلي عن ساق شجرة حتى يمسك بساق شجرة أخرى

Literally, it says:

It does not let go of one tree trunk until it has grasped onto another tree trunk.

I only found it as an explanation for other proverbs.

This is what I found:

193. لا يترك الساق إلا ممسكاً ساقاً

يضرب مثلاً للرجل الحزوم لا يترك شيئاً إلا تعلق بآخر وأصله في الحرباء الذي لا يخلي عن ساق شجرة حتى يمسك بساق شجرة أخرى
    (Here -- scroll down to number 193)

The proverb they relate is:

"لا يترك الساق إلا ممسكاً ساقاً"
    Literally: He does not leave the trunk [of a tree] except [when] grasping [another tree] trunk.

And the explanation for it is:

يضرب مثلاً للرجل الحزوم لا يترك شيئاً إلا تعلق بآخر وأصله في الحرباء الذي لا يخلي عن ساق شجرة حتى يمسك بساق شجرة أخرى

Applied to the resolute man who does not leave one thing until he has attached himself to another. It's origin is in the chameleon which does not let go of one tree trunk until it has grasped onto another tree trunk.

I also found this:

"أحْزَمُ مِنْ حِرْبَاء"
    لأنه لا يخلى عن ساق شجرة حتى يمسك ساق شجرة أخرى،

(Found here -- under the second picture.

It says:

"More resolute than a chameleon"

...because it does not let go of one tree trunk until it has grasped onto another tree trunk.

Perhaps you could insert the word for chameleon (الحرباء) into the phrase and use it for your tattoo:

لا يخلي الحرباء عن ساق شجرة حتى يمسك بساق شجرة أخرى

The chameleon does not let go of one tree trunk until it has grasped onto another tree trunk.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >