A champion of climate change

< Previous | Next >

eno2

Dutch-Flemish
Hi,

I hear on Outside Source BBC News that the newly appointed director of the IMF is a 'champion of climate change' (sic)

I know what they mean, but wouldn't it be better to say the contrary or the opposite?

But how?
Or is it OK?

• grassy

Polish
    I agree it's rather unfortunate If that's really what they called him, but are you sure it wasn't something like 'a champion of climate change action'?

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Reuters has a better version. BBC is not what it used to be when it comes to English writing :(
    A center-right politician who grew up in Bulgaria under Communism, Georgieva built a reputation during her time at the World Bank - where she has been on a leave of absence from her post as chief executive officer during the IMF nomination process - and the European Commission as a tenacious straight-shooter, champion of gender equality and leader in the global fight against climate change.

Myridon

English - US
    I know what they mean, but wouldn't it be better to say the contrary or the opposite?
    Here we need people to champion the idea of climate change (convince everyone that there is such a thing) before we can worry about having champions of eliminating climate change. ;)

S1m0n

English
    The Beeb is thinking of climate change as a political cause, not as a geo-climatic phenomenon. With that lens, 'champion of climate change' works.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I hear on Outside Source BBC News that the newly appointed director of the IMF is a 'champion of climate change' (sic)
    This makes sense. In recent years "Climate Change" is the new name of "Global Warming", a very popular political/social movement. It is also a trillion-dollar industry. It has "champions" (strong advocates) and "deniers" (scientists who claim it is all phony).

< Topic drift removed. (See notification.) Cagey, moderator >

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >