A Change in different directions

• panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    Hello Montesal, and welcome to WordReference.

It might be correct, or it might not.
    I really can't say without more context.
    Could you post a sentence including this phrase so that we can see how you would want to use it?

Montesal

España, Español
    Hello Montesal, and welcome to WordReference.

It might be correct, or it might not.
    I really can't say without more context.
    Could you post a sentence including this phrase so that we can see how you would want to use it?
    Ok. Well, I wanted to say that one variable changes rising and another one changes declining. So, does it mean that there exists "a change in different directions"?
    Thanks in advance.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Ok. Well, I wanted to say that one variable changes rising and another one changes declining. So, does it mean that there exists "a change in different directions"?
    Thanks in advance.
    If I understand correctly, "different changes" would express the idea, or maybe "independently changing variables", though I'm not actually sure the latter makes sense. :confused:

Montesal

España, Español
    If I understand correctly, "different changes" would express the idea, or maybe "independently changing variables", though I'm not actually sure the latter makes sense. :confused:
    Yes, and I thank you for your suggestion but the question is that I want to express the idea of the opposite change, one of them upwards and another one downwards. In fact, if the expression is correct or not for expressing that idea.
    Thanks again.

Nunty

Modified
    Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    Yes, and I thank you for your suggestion but the question is that I want to express the idea of the opposite change, one of them upwards and another one downwards. In fact, if the expression is correct or not for expressing that idea.
    Thanks again.
    I see. I'm afraid I can't think of a way of saying that without actually saying it. That is, I think you would have to say something like "Both variables changed, but X increased while Y decreased."

< Previous | Next >