a cheap/few/little/small salary?

JJJenifer

Taiwan/Chinese
Hi, everyone,

I found following blank questions in a website (pdf p.1):

She works hard in the office for a ....... salary.

A. little B few C cheap D small

I think C could be correct answer but A and B maybe also make sense.
Which one is correct?

Thank you in advance.

• Barque

Tamil
    It's D. She works hard for a small (low) salary.

Cheap means inexpensive. You need something that means "low" here.

While little can be used in some contexts with an intangible noun, it doesn't apply here. You could however say "She works hard for little pay".

"Few" is usually used with countable nouns.

Andygc

British English
    Yes, salary is countable. "She works hard in the office for a few salaries." Lucky her! Most people only get one salary! No, you can't use "few".

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    No, 'few' wont work here. One month salary /one week salary is one salary. 'A few salaries' means the salaries earned in a few months/weeks.

Cross-posted

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    "A few sala
    No, 'few' wont work here. One month salary /one week salary is one salary. 'A few salaries' means the salaries earned in a few months/weeks.
    That would be "a few months'/weeks' salary," just as the salary earned in one week would be "one week's salary." To me "a few salaries" sounds very peculiar, and would probably refer to the salaries earned by "a few" people.

Englishmypassion

India - Hindi
    Thank you, RM1. I knew we use the apostrophe with time, distance, etc but just used the expression I find very commonly used these days here in India. That's really bad on my part. SORRY.

< Previous | Next >