a cheap out, but mine own

jacdac

Lebanese
Jeannie listened to this with growing dismay. As his wife, she couldn’t ask the questions that his prompted: If you had such doubts, why in God’s name did you act the way you did? And why so fast? Yes, she had encouraged him, and so maybe she owned a little of this current trouble, but she hadn’t had all the information. A cheap out, but mine own, she thought … and winced again.
As if reading her mind (and after almost twenty-five years of marriage, he could probably do that), he said, ‘This isn’t all buyer’s remorse, you know –don’t get that idea.
Source: Outsider by Stephen King
Context: It is Sunday morning. Detective Ralph Anderson and his wife are having coffee in the home backyard. The day before, Ralph arrested a highly respected baseball coach and high school teacher Terry Maitland for the alleged rape and murder of a child, Frankie Peterson. In the interview room, the alleged suspect stated that he was on a teacher’s conference and he had iron-clad alibi.
The next morning, Ralph is confused as both the witness statements and the alibi are equally solid and irrefutable.

What does the bolded expression mean? What is the literal meaning? Is it common? Is Jeannie doubting the arrest and blaming herself for it?

Glossary:

'An ill-favoured thing sir, but mine own' means ‘it may not be good, but it's the best I have to offer’.
cheap out vb.(
intr, adverb) informal US and Canadian to take the cheapest option; try to do something as cheap, as possible.

Thank you.

Last edited:
  • Copyright

American English
    A cheap out = a not-very-honest way of excusing myself.
    but mine own = but that's all I can say in my defense.

< Previous | Next >