A child who was born in a house where his/her parents were working as servants

ebrahim

Persian
Hi,

How can I describe a child who was not born in his/her own house but a house of which his/her parents were a servant of? I'm trying to translate a short story in which there is a husband and wife who both were born in their parents' lord's house.

Thank you.

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    There is no one word for such a child. You will have to use a phrase. Is that what you're looking for?

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    We would call household servants who live in their employer's house (obviously a very large house) "live-in servants" or "live-in household staff". I don't personally know any people who have household workers living in their homes, but I suppose such employees might include housekeepers, cooks, butlers, chauffeurs, . . .

I wouldn't refer to the owner of the house as a "lord", just an employer.

There isn't any specific word or phrase for a child of a live-in servant. If that fact is important to the story, you'll just have to say it in so many words.

ebrahim

Persian
    We would call household servants who live in their employer's house (obviously a very large house) "live-in servants" .
    I'm still not sure about the original word (Persian) meaning of what I was trying to translate, but if I come to the conclusion that it means what I've explained in the first post, it might be possible to make use of the term you suggest (live-in servant) as a part of the translated phrase (not a single word would do).
    Thank you so much

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    Thanks, I asked as Parla #4 had mentioned "lord". Had it been, say, 12th century or earlier, "lord" might have worked.

ebrahim

Persian
    Thanks, I asked as Parla #4 had mentioned "lord". Had it been, say, 12th century or earlier, "lord" might have worked.
    I (wrongly) used "lord" here to explain my question and I didn't use it in the translation. Thanks so much for your meticulousness.

< Previous | Next >