a chinese saying

< Previous | Next >
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinmin1988

Chinese
Confucius, a famous Chinese educationalist, said "If three of us are walking together, at least one of the other two is good enough to be my teacher."
I wonder if you can understand this translation completely.

Thank you.

• Valvs

Russian
    Confucius, a famous Chinese educationalist, said "If three of us are walking together, at least one of the other two is good enough to be my teacher."
    I wonder if you can understand this translation completely.
    Thank you.
    I am not sure that it is possible to understand this sentence correctly out of context. When I read your translation, I thought that Confucius was just being modest. But after reading JoanTaber's link, I realised that he meant something like "at least one of the other two can teach me something". You see, we are accustomed to think of the pupil-teacher relationships in Asian countries (and especially in the past) as comprehensive and covering all areas of the pupil's education and life. It may be a stereotype, but it is a stereotype that is shared by many, many people. So when I read that one ancient Chinese person says about another person that the latter is good enough to be his teacher, it makes me think that the first person thinks of the other one as his better in all respects.

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    There is no specific question of usage here, I'm afraid. "Do you understand" is far too vague a question for these forums and so I have locked the thread.

Jinmin1988, if you have a specific question, you are welcome to contact me or any of the English Only moderators. If your question is within scope we will be more than happy to re-open the thread.

Thank you.

Nunty, moderator

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >