a choice of Hot Dog or Hamburger

< Previous | Next >

NickJunior

Khmer
Hi Forum,

Say I have made available 5 different food items choices for my guests. However, each of them can get to pick only one of the choices. So how do you recommend I would say it? Is it correct for me to say as follow:

You have a choice of Hot Dog, or Hamburger, or Burrito, or Fried Rice, or Taco.

I appreciate any suggestions that you may have for me.

• SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    What you have is good and clear (except that capitals are not required).

You could also say: "There will be hot dogs, hamburgers, burritos, fried rice and tacos. You have a choice of any one of them".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    You could also take out the first three "or" to yield:
    You have a choice of hot dog, hamburger, burrito, fried rice, or taco.

This would be equally clear and not an uncommon way to word such "menus". There are two schools of thought/usage on whether the last comma should be used (search for Oxford or Harvard comma).

MarcB

US English
    I would go with Pete, using the s for plural. That is just a personal preference. I also woulld include a choice of either , or , to make it clear that they can have only one.

jianadaren

English - Canadian
    To be very clear you might say: "You have a choice of one of the following: a hot dog, a hamburger, a burrito, a taco, or a serving of fried rice." Or you could say "one hot dog", etc.

Otherwise, you might have people taking two or more, thinking that hot dog, etc. are being used as collective nouns.

< Previous | Next >