a choke in a gasoline engine

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by John Robin Allen, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. John Robin Allen Senior Member

    Priddis, Alberta, Canada
    English - Canada
    A few days ago I purchased a gasoline generator to keep a furnace going in the event of an unlikely but still possible electrical outage in winter.

    In Canada one usually gets directions in both English and French, but in this case only the French directions were included. They talk about the "etrangleur" (with an accent on the first letter).

    Would I be safe in assuming that is what one calls the choke in English? That seems logical, but I cannot confirm it with any dictionary I have, nor is the word on the WordReference dictionary.

    Thanks for any help you can give.

    John Robin
    Priddis, Alberta
  2. benjewels Senior Member

    français, France

    In french, a choke is "un starter" english word.

    Un "étrangleur" is a strangler.

    So if you want to talk about mecanic, you should use "starter" in french, I think

    source: mediadico
  3. timboleicester

    timboleicester Senior Member

    English - UK
    If you device was made in China or elswhere where English and French is not one of the main languages this might be a simple translation error made with a dictionary. This is just a theory. It might be the "cut off" device however. What does it do anyway? Enrich the air/petrol mixture = "starter/choke ?
  4. DaiSmallcoal Senior Member

    English (UK) Wales U.K.
    PLEASE could you give us the phrase - the context - I've got years of working on engines - "strangler" used to be used to mean the choke flap and possibly someone has just done a crude translation as above
  5. Gordo Senior Member

    Kent, England
    Scotland, English
    I've been thinking about this one. A synonym for choke in English is throttle. A choke and a throttle are both controls in an internal combustion engine. Both are verbs also: to choke, to throttle = étrangler.
    Just a thought. :)
  6. Aoyama Senior Member

    川崎市、巴里 (黎)
    français Clodoaldien
    That is very true, and calling a choke un étrangleur in French (like the one in Boston) in a directions manual for a gasoline generator is really a (good) joke:D .
  7. Tonton Christian Senior Member

    French Belgium
    Bonsoir !
    C'est vrai qu'il est souvent difficile de comprendre les mode d'emploi des appareils...
    Néanmoins, si l'on connaît un peu le fonctionnement d'un moteur à explosion, on sait qu'il est équippé d'un "choke", dispositif destiné à enrichir la combustion. Or, les Canadiens, dans un louable effort me semble-t-il, préfèrent utiliser des mots de notre langue. Il me semble (ce n'est qu'une opinion) que le terme "étrangleur" qui dit bien ce qu'il veut dire, a sa place dans un texte technique. Et pourquoi pas ?
  8. John Robin Allen Senior Member

    Priddis, Alberta, Canada
    English - Canada
    In response to the following query posted on this thread: :

    Posted: PLEASE could you give us the phrase - the context - I've got years of working on engines - "strangler" used to be used to mean the choke flap and possibly someone has just done a crude translation as above[/quote]

    Answer: The word “étrangleur” comes from the instructions in French for an Eastern Tools and Equipment gasoline generator, Model TG 3000.

    In the French manual it points to a control in a picture and has the caption "Levier de l'étrangleur".

    I finally got the English manual, which states that this is the "Choke Lever".

    In the French manual under the instructions for Lancement du moteur, one reads “Poussez la tige de l’étrangleur à la position “OPEN”.

    Those two statements are the only occurrences of “étrangleur” in the manual.

    Could this just be a poor translation of what one would call in French “le starter”?
  9. DaiSmallcoal Senior Member

    English (UK) Wales U.K.
    so to start the engine -
    you push the choke lever to the "OPEN" position, (obviously remembering to push it back to "CLOSED" once the engine is running properly)

    the postings above are correct, in that there are usually 2
    "disc arrangements " inside the carburettor in a petrol engine,

    1 is the throttle/ papillon for controlling engine speed

    2 is the choke flap to PARTLY cut off ( -"strangle") the flow of air to the engine and thus to enrich the carburettor when starting from cold - which I now learn from benjewels ( thank you !) is called a " starter" in French -

    ((which it is NOT called in English BTW. !. .
    in English the "starter" = le demarreur !))

    the confusion comes from different expressions in different countries - and also changes of words over time - I'm older so I remember the now obsolete English expression "strangler".

    Hope this helps - and gets you off to a good "start" in the New Year !
  10. Gutenberg

    Gutenberg Senior Member

    Province de Québec, Canada
    français international

    Here is what the Grand dictionnaire terminologique (Quebec) (you will find this online dictionary by typing "gdt" on Goggle) says:

    volet de départ n. m.
    Équivalent(s) English

    Définition :
    Type de volet placé à l'entrée du conduit d'admission du moteur, en amont du carburateur, et dont la fermeture facilite les départs du moteur à froid.

    Sous-entrée(s) :
    enrichisseur n. m.
    étrangleur n. m.
    volet d'air n. m.
    papillon d'air n. m.

    papillon de l'étrangleur n. m.
    doseur n. m. [Québec]

    terme(s) à éviter

    Note(s) :
    Le terme "starter" est un emprunt inutile à l'anglais et un terme impropre pour désigner cette réalité.

    So, the étrangleur is the choke!

Share This Page