a church pass

Discussion in 'English Only' started by enkidu68, Jan 23, 2018.

1. enkidu68 Senior Member

istanbul
    turkish
    Hi, It is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
    My question; Defoe is using very long sentences, this is one of those.
    What I wonder that if these bold ones form the main sentence? It's very complex.

But getting good advice from a priest at Bar le Duc, who, though I did not tell him the particulars of my case, yet guessed how it was, it being, as he said, very usual for gentlemen in my circumstances to fly that way;--upon this supposition, this kind _padre_ got me a church pass; that is to say, he made me a purveyor for the abbey of ----, and, as such, got me a passport to go to Deux Ponts, which belonged to the king of Sweden.

2. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    He is explaining to the reader what the unfamiliar expression "a church pass" means.

3. entangledbank

entangledbank Senior Member

London
    English - South-East England
    The heart of the main clause is 'this kind padre got me a church pass'. This is then paraphrased (so I suppose it's coordinate, not subordinate) as 'he made me a purveyor . . . and . . . got me a passport . . .'

The parts before the kind padre are all subordinate. This is a gerund-participial absolute clause:

[But getting good advice from a priest [. . . who . . . guessed . . .]]

Then inside that is another such absolute clause: 'it being . . . usual for gentlemen . . . to fly that way'

Plus a few other smaller clauses and phrases attached as decorations to those main parts.

4. enkidu68 Senior Member

istanbul
    turkish
    Thank you so much it is clear now.

5. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    :D