a church pass

enkidu68

turkish
Hi, It is coming from Colonel Jack by Defoe.
My question; Defoe is using very long sentences, this is one of those.
What I wonder that if these bold ones form the main sentence? It's very complex.

But getting good advice from a priest at Bar le Duc, who, though I did not tell him the particulars of my case, yet guessed how it was, it being, as he said, very usual for gentlemen in my circumstances to fly that way;--upon this supposition, this kind _padre_ got me a church pass; that is to say, he made me a purveyor for the abbey of ----, and, as such, got me a passport to go to Deux Ponts, which belonged to the king of Sweden.

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    The heart of the main clause is 'this kind padre got me a church pass'. This is then paraphrased (so I suppose it's coordinate, not subordinate) as 'he made me a purveyor . . . and . . . got me a passport . . .'

The parts before the kind padre are all subordinate. This is a gerund-participial absolute clause:

[But getting good advice from a priest [. . . who . . . guessed . . .]]

Then inside that is another such absolute clause: 'it being . . . usual for gentlemen . . . to fly that way'

Plus a few other smaller clauses and phrases attached as decorations to those main parts.

< Previous | Next >