a classic and are a must have

< Previous | Next >

ntcl

portuguese
A friend gave me books and a wanted to thank her. Is the expression a classic and a must have used correctly?

"Thank you so much for the books. I just read them for the first time and really enjoyed. Rob said they are a classic and are a must have."

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, NTCL. This is a very idiomatic expression in my part of the world. When something is a "classic", it has durable, long-term value. When something is a "must-have", it is something that you really should own.

Last edited:

timpeac

English (England)
    A friend gave me books and a wanted to thank her. Is the expression a classic and a must have used correctly?

"Thank you so much for the books. I just read them for the first time and really enjoyed. Rob said they are a classic and are a must have."
    "Classic" should be plural because each is a classic. I would also hyphenate must-have.

ntcl

portuguese

e2efour

UK English
    I would say "they are classics and a must have".
    You could also run these descriptions together and say "they're must have classics".

An alternative (which sounds somewhat more natural) is "they are classics that no one should be without".

soccergal

English - US
    I like e2efour's alternative. Classics definitely needs to plural, but to be consistent, you should say must haves, and that sounds weird.

e2efour

UK English
    I would also write must have (in italics). It's a phrase that is often ujsed nowadays, but I don't remember this way of speaking thirty or forty or more years ago.
    I'm not sure that must haves is necessarily weird. If you say it aloud often enough, it becomes natural.

< Previous | Next >