a clean breeze was gently blowing

< Previous | Next >

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
1.“The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze was gently blowing from the river, refreshing me completely."
2."The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze, gently blowing from the river, refreshing me completely."
Please tell me if the two sentences are correct?
Thanks.

• JamesM

The first sentence is correct. The second is not. "Refreshing" would need to be changed to "refreshed".

By replacing the "was" with a comma, the phrase "gently blowing from the river" has now become what I would call a subordinate phrase (which may not be the correct term.) It provides additional information but is no longer part of the main sentence.

The main sentence now reads: "...and a clean breeze refreshing me completely." I think the problem with the grammar is fairly clear when you look at it that way.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, JamesM.
    I understand so the second should be:
    "The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze gently blowing from the river, refreshed me completely."
    Thanks.

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    Hi mimi2,

You've removed the second comma from your sentence in this latest version, which makes it incorrect. You need to leave in the comma after breeze, making "gently blowing from the river" a subordinate phrase.

I hope that helps :)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, cycloneviv.
    I think I will only leave one comma in my sentence.
    "The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze gently blowing from the river refreshed me completely."
    'gently blowing from the river' => subordinate phrase to modify the noun "breeze". It will answer the question "What is the clean breeze"?
    "refreshed" is the verb "refresh". It will answer the question "what refreshed me"?
    Please correct me.
    Thanks.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Hi, Dimcl.
    If I didn't use a phrase, I would use a clause. Is it like this?
    The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze that/which was gently blowing from the river refreshed me completely.

Dimcl

Canadian English
    Hi, Dimcl.
    If I didn't use a phrase, I would use a clause. Is it like this?
    The evening was crisp and bracing, and a the clean breeze that/which was gently blowing from the river refreshed me completely.
    Some people would put a comma after "river" in this sentence, Mimi, but I wouldn't. It's fine (with my small edits).:)

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
    Thank you, Dimcl, very much.
    I have two ways to write:
    1. The evening was crisp and bracing, and a clean breeze, gently blowing from the river, refreshed me completely.
    2. The evening was crisp and bracing, and the clean breeze that was gently blowing from the river refreshed me completely.
    Great! Thank you. :)

< Previous | Next >