a clear day's start

_Joan_

french
Bonjour,
J'aimerais savoir ce que signifie "a clear day's start". On en trouve peu de références en faisant des recherches en ligne, mais il semble bien que ce soit tout de même une expression en anglais.

• constantlyconfused

English - British
    Hi Joan and welcome to the forum.
    A bit more context would help, perhaps a full sentence.
    However, "I'll give you a day's start" means that I'll let you start a day before me.
    In a race, you might say "I'll give you a 10-metre start", meaning you can start 10 metres ahead of me.

I'm not entirely sure how to put this in French, but perhaps"un jour d'avance" or "un jour de départ", depending on the context.

A clear day, simply means a full/whole day.

_Joan_

french
    Ok thank you very much ! So I guess "a clear day's start" would translate to "un jour entier d'avance" ou "un jour complet d'avance". There is not much context, it is from a 1940 old movie and the sentence is "The scoundrel's had a clear day's start".

rrose17

Canada, English
    There is not much context, it is from a 1940 old movie and the sentence is "The scoundrel's had a clear day's start".
    That's exactly the context needed! :cool: "...un jour complet d'avance" although the word "clear" here is added for emphasis.

constantlyconfused

English - British
    Thinking about it, would "a day's clear start" make more sense in English?
    (Sometimes you can think about something too much... :rolleyes:)