"... a cock's crow from the village"

shawnee

English - Australian
Για σας,
The expression is used where a hiker is gradually approaching the outer limits of the village. As I'm translating my own work there's no compunction to stick with the idiom. I just wondered if there was something like it in Greek.

• cougr

English-Australia
    Hi Shawnee ,I know of a greek idiomatic expression which has a similar meaning[albeit a bit more vulgar]to the phrase in question ,although in literal terms it is not the same . The phrase I have in mind is "ena kavli tou kourouna apo to xwrio."

shawnee

English - Australian
    Ha! No vulgarity will not do here. κουρούνα sounds good though. Lets say my readership is a bunch of eighty year olds thinking of the village they left many decades ago. I just don't see the word 'kavli' working there. Thanks for the the thought.

ireney

Modistra
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hmmm, how about "μια πετριά/μιά ανάσα/ένα τσιγάρο δρόμος" ;

shawnee

English - Australian
    Για,
    The μιά ανάσα sounds good Ireney, I may well use it. That is not to say that I was not tempted to change everything for the sake of using: "a horny crow's distance from the village," or is it "a crow's horniness from the village"? (laughing guy symbol) But then again it is an idiom so I suppose close translations are futile.

cougr

English-Australia
    " or is it "a crow's horniness from the village"? "

Shawnee ,there is a more apt translation than the above but for the sake of decency I will refrain from providing it .To give you a hint though just play around with the words of the phrase you wanted help with . In any case I never really thought that you'd be tempted to use it it's just the first thing that came up in my mind.

< Previous | Next >