"... a cock's crow from the village"

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by shawnee, Jun 10, 2009.

1. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Για σας,
    The expression is used where a hiker is gradually approaching the outer limits of the village. As I'm translating my own work there's no compunction to stick with the idiom. I just wondered if there was something like it in Greek.

2. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    Hi Shawnee ,I know of a greek idiomatic expression which has a similar meaning[albeit a bit more vulgar]to the phrase in question ,although in literal terms it is not the same . The phrase I have in mind is "ena kavli tou kourouna apo to xwrio."

3. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Ha! No vulgarity will not do here. κουρούνα sounds good though. Lets say my readership is a bunch of eighty year olds thinking of the village they left many decades ago. I just don't see the word 'kavli' working there. Thanks for the the thought.

4. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece Mod of Greek, CC and CD
    Hmmm, how about "μια πετριά/μιά ανάσα/ένα τσιγάρο δρόμος" ;

5. shawnee

shawnee Senior Member

Melbourne
    English - Australian
    Για,
    The μιά ανάσα sounds good Ireney, I may well use it. That is not to say that I was not tempted to change everything for the sake of using: "a horny crow's distance from the village," or is it "a crow's horniness from the village"? (laughing guy symbol) But then again it is an idiom so I suppose close translations are futile.

6. cougr Senior Member

English-Australia
    " or is it "a crow's horniness from the village"? "

Shawnee ,there is a more apt translation than the above but for the sake of decency I will refrain from providing it .To give you a hint though just play around with the words of the phrase you wanted help with . In any case I never really thought that you'd be tempted to use it it's just the first thing that came up in my mind.