1. Sienna35 New Member

Spanish-English
    I need help! I always thought that it was correct to say "some coffee" but I read "a coffee", instead. is it correct?

2. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    Yes, it's said when it refers to "a cup of coffee".

:)

3. Biffo Senior Member

England
    English - England
    There are lots of possibilities.

In a restaurant after eating, "Shall we have coffee?"

Whilst shopping in town, "I'm exhausted. Shall we go for a coffee?"

At home, speaking to a guest, "Would you like some coffee?"

In the desert, "I'd give anything for a cup of coffee right now!"

When buying ice-cream, "Would you like the strawberry or the coffee?" [This means "Would you like the strawberry flavour or the coffee flavour?"]

I'm sorry if this complicates matters but we really can (and do) say all of the above depending on a number of factors.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  4. huntsman New Member

India - Hindi & English
    Total agree with Biffo

5. Sienna35 New Member

Spanish-English
    thank you very much!!!! to all of you...

6. huntsman New Member

India - Hindi & English
    Welcome ..
    one question.. do you ever ask, for "a coffee" ????

7. Mahantongo

Mahantongo Senior Member

English (U.S.)
    Absolutely.

Jane, to co-workers: I am going to the deli to get myself a coffee. Would anyone like something?
    Joe: Yes, I would love a coffee -- with milk, no sugar.
    Anna: And would you get me a tea with lemon?

8. cubaMania Senior Member

I think we sometimes say "a coffee" when we are buying a portable single-serve container of coffee at a shop such as Starbucks. In a home where coffee is being poured into a traditional cup I would not say "a coffee".

EDIT: Or I might say, if I'm buying individual portable containers of coffee for a group, "I'll have 5 coffees please, one with cream and sugar, two black, one decaf black, one decaf with sugar.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  9. Sienna35 New Member

Spanish-English
    No, never. I ask for coffee, please. or can i get some coffee, please? that's how i thought it was correct...

10. Sienna35 New Member

Spanish-English
    No, never. It sounds rare for me. I ask for coffee or some coffee

11. jtLeebs

jtLeebs Senior Member

USA
    English - USA
    I strongly agree.

12. k-in-sc

k-in-sc Senior Member

Agree -- "a coffee" when you are ordering by the item, "some coffee" or "a cup of coffee" when nobody is keeping track.