A colloquial synonym for "from now on"?

< Previous | Next >

xpell

Spanish - Spain
Hi! I am writing a story and I have two characters who need to use an expression like "from now on" in two different situations barely two pages apart, as in:

"From now on, you must obey your Uncle" (to a child)
"We'll have to live here from now on" (to an adult close relative)

For obvious reasons, I'd prefer them not to use exactly the same expression.

I know that there're alternatives like henceforth, from this moment forth, hereafter, etc., but all of them seem to be formal or dated.

Please, could you suggest another colloquial or not too formal expression (as in talking to children or close relatives) that one of the characters could use instead of "from now on"?

• xpell

Spanish - Spain
    What obvious reasons? Repetition plays an important role in many kinds of speech and writing.

"In future" is a common alternative.
    I'd just prefer them not to sound like "carbon copies" of each other if there's a natural, commonly used alternative. :)

Florentia52

Modwoman in the attic
    English - United States
    We can't provide lists of synonyms here, xpell. If you have a specific alternative in mind, please ask about it. Otherwise, a thesaurus (such as thesaurus.com, for example) is a good option.

Florentia52, moderator

Cenzontle

English, U.S.
    "From now on" is such a common, conventional expression, it is inconspicuous.
    I doubt that any reader will notice the "repetition" two pages later,
    any more than they would notice the preposition "about" being used more than once on a page.
    You are right, the others you mention are too formal.
    If you insist on a change, "from here on" is possible, but it would clash in sound with "live here".
    By the way, "in future" (BE) is "in the future" in AE.

Packard

USA, English
    I've said often that there is nothing wrong with repeating a word if that word is the best word to choose in that instance.

What word would you choose to replace "word" with in the above sentence?

In school we were taught not to use a word twice in a sentence and to avoid repeating it in an adjacent sentence. As an adult I categorically state that the rule is nonsense.

"From now on" is colloquial. To replace it with something like "from this point forward" or "hence" or "hereafter" which are far less colloquial is a stylistic mistake in my opinion.

xpell

Spanish - Spain
    Thank you all very much. If it is so common and natural, then both of them will say "from now on"! :)

We can't provide lists of synonyms here, xpell. If you have a specific alternative in mind, please ask about it. Otherwise, a thesaurus (such as thesaurus.com, for example) is a good option.

Florentia52, moderator
    Actually I didn't want a list of synonyms, just a possible alternative, but thank you anyway!

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Who exactly are these people? This means social status and background.
    Where are they, and in what time period is the story set?
    Some of the suggestions given here would be quite inappropriate in certain contexts, because they are 'dialect', or colloquial/slang.

xpell

Spanish - Spain
    Who exactly are these people? This means social status and background.
    Where are they, and in what time period is the story set?
    Some of the suggestions given here would be quite inappropriate in certain contexts, because they are 'dialect', or colloquial/slang.
    The present time (actually the very near future, around 2019-2020 ---estimated date of publication. ;) ) They're in Spain (but the dialog is written in English, just like the rest of the story) and the U.S.

The use of colloquialisms is OK, since they're talking to a young kid (first character) and a close relative (second character).

< Previous | Next >