a combination of ... the result of

windyvalley

Chinese
Hi,

"The global competitiveness rankings are drawn from a combination of publicly available hard data and the results of a comprehensive annual survey conducted by the WEF among 125 economies worldwide."

This is from a book.
I am wondering if the bold parts are necessary in this sentense,as I think they seem redundant and the sentence works fine without them.

The global competitiveness rankings are drawn from publicly available hard data and a comprehensive annual survey conducted by the WEF among 125 economies worldwide.

What do you think? Which one would you prefer to use?

Thanks!

Windy

• Joelline

American English
    I agree; however, if you wanted to emphasize the connection between these two factors, you could add two words (needed to maintain parallelism):

The global competitiveness rankings are drawn both from publicly available hard data and from a comprehensive annual survey conducted by the WEF among 125 economies worldwide.

BantyMom

English - USA
    I would tweak that just a bit, moving the word both:

The global competitiveness rankings are drawn from both publicly available hard data and a comprehensive annual survey conducted by the WEF among 125 economies worldwide.

< Previous | Next >