A Comma in "Thank you, again"?

< Previous | Next >

las2zg

English -- United States
Hi there,

I am writing an email to a potential employer and would like to sign off by thanking the recipient again. Is it correct to place a comma in the phrase "Thank you, again"? I haven't been able to find an answer (backed up with reasoning) with a general web search. Thanks for any help you can give!

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    I don't see any need to separate "thank you" and "again." If you said this, there would not be a verbal pause.

Therefore, no comma. If this is your closing (before your name), there will be a comma after "again." Two commas would be too many.

las2zg

English -- United States
    Egmont,

Thanks for responding. I agree that there is no verbal pause in the phrase. I tend to use too many commas, so I'm not surprised this one was unnecessary.

Thanks (again)!

Forero

Hi there,

I am writing an email to a potential employer and would like to sign off by thanking the recipient again. Is it correct to place a comma in the phrase "Thank you, again"? I haven't been able to find an answer (backed up with reasoning) with a general web search. Thanks for any help you can give!
    Adding a comma draws attention to "again", and your gratefulness is probably not what you want the prospective employer to think about. In fact, in this context, why even say "again"?

< Previous | Next >